Which business schools can I apply to ?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Which business schools can I apply to ?

by Rishabh » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:02 am
Hi Stacy,

I am an Indian working in the IT space with a multinational. My current profile is that of a software developer and I am looking forward to move into consulting field after doing an MBA from the top schools.

My Profile:
GMAT Attempt1 - 640
GMAT Attempt2 - 720 (Awaiting AWA score)
TOEFL: awaiting results
Undergrad Major: Computer Science & Engineering
Undergrad gpa - 2.8 (rank 2 out of a class of 40)

Career Goal:
Post MBA I would like to work with one of the top consulting firms. Eventually in the long run I would start my own firm.

Work Experience:
Currently, I am working full-time with IBM Corporation. I have worked in the implementation of various projects for AT&T, a major Telecom services provider for the USA and parts of China and India, and with IBM Global Account, department handling the internal projects of IBM.

International Experience:
I have been constantly working with my peers in IBM US and AT&T counterparts, but I have never got a chance to be out of my parent country.

Extra-Curricular:
I was chosen as the representative for the “National Social Service” Club, in order to organize various site visits and meetings regarding social activities for freshmen students during my undergraduate study.
I have been working with local social organizations for the arrangement of various camps such as Pulse Polio Program, Cleanliness Awareness Camp, Female Education Scheme, Hepatitis-B Vaccination Camp, Blood Donation Camp, etc
I have been an active part of the organizing committee for various events, both during my undergraduate study as well as while being employed, such as the arrangements for our annual festival at the college, outbound expeditions for our class during college time and similar kind of adventures for various trips at the workplace.

Other Interests:
Some of my other interests include outdoor sports such as biking, swimming and adventure sports.

Could you please advise me on the schools I shall apply to ?
What schools would you recommend for a person with my kind of profile ?
Also, which ones would be the safety schools ?

I cant exactly decide which other schools I should apply, but my initial list consists of these:
ISB - India
Kelloggs School of Management - US
INSEAD - France
NUS - Singapore

regards,
Rishabh

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:43 pm
Your list is a good start. In the US, the top consulting frims recruit heavily at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and MIT in addition to Kellogg.

Othe US schools to consider: Michigan, Chicago, Cornell, Yale, Columbia
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

thanks

by Rishabh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:24 am
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for you advice.

regards,
Rishabh

What are the chances ?

by Rishabh » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 am
Hi Stacy,

What will be my chances of admission to these schools with scholarship, going by my profile posted above (assuming I apply by cycle 2, at most ):

HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT and Kellogg.
What I mean to ask is whether it will be a good idea to apply to these schools or I will just end up with paying the money for their applications ?

Also, please give your views about the same for these schools:
Michigan, Chicago, Cornell, Yale, Columbia

thanks & regards,
Rishabh

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:43 am
It's difficult to forecast "chances" for all of these schools with the limited information that I have - it's a much more involved process. However, my gut is that the schools in the first group will be somewhat of a reach and I would not count on a scholarship for any of these schools. Scolarships are pretty rare, so it's hard to go into the process assuming that you will be awarded one.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by Rishabh » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:42 am
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the information.

regards,