OG 12 q 73

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

OG 12 q 73

by shilpi84 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 am
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

A)appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
B)appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
C)appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
D)appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
E)appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

OA:B

by Robinmrtha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:10 am
Appear as is incorrect...
It should be appear to...
E is wordy and awkward...
So B is correct

by pink_08 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:41 pm
Could anyone give an explanation why (B) is the correct answer.

Specifically, why " have been equipped " is correct usage. have been is present perfect which dictates any action started in the past but continues in the present. Since Neanderthal are extinct, how is this usage right ?

Also appear is in the present tense, Is it used bcos of the idiom "appear to " (or) because the modifier at the start of the sentence is present tense.

B)appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:08 pm
Why B is the correct answer here. B should not be correct here simply because it uses present perfect.

I picked D

by pink_08 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:51 pm
OG answer is B.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 am
this isn't a present perfect construction, because it's actually an infinitive.
i.e., it's not "they have been equipped"; it's "they appear TO HAVE been equipped".

in any case, you should probably just memorize this construction as a one-off idiomatic structure. if you say "they seemed/appeared to...", then, no matter how remote the event is (in time), you use this construction.

for instance:
it seems that the students cheated on the exam
(normal past tense in this construction)
but...
the students seem to have cheated on the exam
(not here)

i don't really have a good explanation for this, other than "i'm a writer with a firm command of formal english, and i know that it is so" and "you should just think of it as an idiom". sorry i can't do better than that.

in any case, though, you DO have to use an infinitive after "appear" or "seem" in this sort of construction. and if you think about it, this is as past-tense as an infinitive can get. so that's why you have to use it.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 am
In B, " to have been" means they are equipped from past till present ( today), right?.

should "been" be used here?
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:45 am
viju9162 wrote:In B, " to have been" means they are equipped from past till present ( today), right?.

should "been" be used here?
read my post, directly above yours. in this context, no, it doesn't mean that. (this is NOT a present perfect construction, because it's an infinitive construction. note my example above, in which "the students cheated" is certainly not an event that continues into the present.)

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:49 am
Did'nt understand it at all!!
Ron,could u please help us get the OA by the POE method??

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: OG 12 q 73

by hypermeganet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:13 pm
shilpi84 wrote:Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

A)appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
B)appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
C)appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
D)appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
E)appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

OA:B
I'll try and help:

"Appear as equipped" would only be correct if the neanderthals' status was being compared to something else. For example: "the neanderthals appear as equipped to fight the cold as they do the tigers."

Since we know their status is not being compared, we can eliminate A, C, D.

So we're stuck between B and E. Let's look at E:

"appeared to have been equipped" doesn't seem wrong at first. It's wrong due to the structure of the infinitive clause but who cares? That's the hard part to figure out. The EASY part of the sentence that is flawed is in the second half:

for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

"for facing" is the present participle and the entire sentence is in the past tense. You can eliminate this one right away.

So, even without knowing why B is correct, you can select it.

But for edification purposes:

B is correct because it uses a singular "appear", uses the past participle, and uses infinitive after the past participle.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 am
uptowngirl92 wrote:Did'nt understand it at all!!
Ron,could u please help us get the OA by the POE method??
you can actually eliminate your way down to the correct answer by using 2 idioms.

(1) "appear as ADJ" is unidiomatic; the correct version is "appear to be ADJ", or, if someone/something was ADJ in the past, "appear to have been ADJ".
that gets you down to (b) and (e).

(2) "equipped for VERBing" is unidiomatic; the correct version is "equipped to VERB".
that gets you to the correct answer.

there are further, more subtle, considerations that are addressed in my previous post, but these idioms are really all that you need to use POE.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by hk_4u » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 am
lunarpower wrote:this isn't a present perfect construction, because it's actually an infinitive.
i.e., it's not "they have been equipped"; it's "they appear TO HAVE been equipped".

in any case, you should probably just memorize this construction as a one-off idiomatic structure. if you say "they seemed/appeared to...", then, no matter how remote the event is (in time), you use this construction.

for instance:
it seems that the students cheated on the exam
(normal past tense in this construction)
but...
the students seem to have cheated on the exam
(not here)
Hi Ron

I have memorized this as you have suggested. However I am not able to understand what you mean to say by the example above

Further , one question still remains , which construction is better in context

appear to have been equipped
appeared to have been equipped

Basically I wanted to know which is the correct verb tense here

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 am
hk_4u wrote:Further , one question still remains , which construction is better in context

appear to have been equipped
appeared to have been equipped

Basically I wanted to know which is the correct verb tense here
by default, "appear" is in the present tense, since we're talking about the way these things appear to present-day observers.

if there were a context that would place "appear" in the past, then you could use the past tense. for instance: to nineteenth-century observers, they appeared to have been equipped...
but, absent such a context, you should go with the present, for simplicity (the default assumption is that this "appears" to be the case to present observers).

--

in this case, you've also got parallelism between "appear" and "indicates", two descriptions that both describe observations made in the present.
since "indicates" is not underlined, that determines the tense context. so your other observation, which is made at the same time, should be parallel to it.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:09 am
Aha....Totally confused...
Ron... I hope you reply to my first post to you...:)
Appear (Or Appears ) -> Present tense...
Appear is parallel to indicates, which is in present tense... So appear is also in present tense..
But when appear paired with to have been equipped (appear to have been equipped) gives you a action in past tense...
N the context of the sentence demands a past tense....So that's why we are using a past tense here....

Is this what you wanna say Ron??

Also is appear as equipped is present tense??
Last edited by adi_800 on Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:22 am
Also, OG explanatn points in the same direction....
OG says that Because Neanderthals "disappeared," the verb
describing their apparent abilities cannot be
present tense, so as equipped must be changed to to
have been equipped...