US TOP 5: Should i apply ?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

US TOP 5: Should i apply ?

by abhkapoor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:05 am
Hi,

I work for a start up financial valuations company ( Was one of the first employees and helped setting up the company. In addition setup the healthcare strategy consulting practice of this firm. Have previosly worked for Deloitte, Pwc, and E&Y.

Did my undergrad from Canada, BBA (GPA 2.8). During undergrad started my own pharmacy retail chain to fund my education, as a result I could not give 100% to my university.

My aim is to get a MBA degree with a focus in healthcare initiative. Post which I want to come back to India and expand the pharmacy and hospital chain my family owns.

My GMAT Score was 680.

I just want to know whether I have any chances at US Top 5, some of the consultants I spoke to have asked me to not to apply to top 5.

Abhishek

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:39 am
Hi Abhishek -

Thank you for your inquiry. You certainly have impressive work experience with demonstrated leadership, entrepreneurship and initiative, and a long history in the healthcare industry. You also have something very appealing to business schools - a family job and therefore guaranteed employment upon graduation.

You know your GPA is a big weakness that may really hurt you. And while your GMAT is excellent, I'm not sure that it's enough to offset the GPA. Have you considered taking the GMAT again in order to break 700? Another option is to build an alternate transcript by taking a couple of college level classes in quantitative or business areas to demonstrate that you have matured academically since college and are committed to balancing multiple priorities. Or have you looked into your GPA to see if there's a "hidden story" that it tells, like stronger performance each year, or good performance in business-oriented classes?

Since you do not mention any community involvement, I cannot give a complete assessment on that front.

Finally, you face one additional hurdle as an Indian male (I am assuming from what you wrote) and therefore being part of an overpresented demographic that tends to have much higher grades and GMAT. (You may want to read this blog post of ours, called Overrepresenting your Overrepresentation for tips on how to set yourself apart in your essays from other demographically similar candidates: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/05/ ... sentation/)

No admisssions consultant can give you a definitive answer, but it does seem like the top five would be a long shot at this point. That's never to say impossible - as I said at the beginning your work experience is varied and interesting and you have a job waiting for you. If your community involvement is equally rich and you could either pull up the GMAT or demonstrate your academic strengths more recently, that would improve your chances.

Best of luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php