MIT Sloan

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MIT Sloan

by sykedaddy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 am
I would love to hear from some of the international users of this site about the international view of the MIT Sloan MBA.

Most prospective students always talk about Harvard/Stanford/Wharton as the top rung. Then the discussion usually turns to Chicago/Columbia/Northwestern...and it appears MIT always gets short-changed. The program is relatively small, and has been painted as an engineering school.

Would love to hear others opinions. To me MIT stands for intellectual horsepower period. Whether, engineering, finance or whatever.
No WAMMYs!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: MIT Sloan

by beatthegmat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:09 pm
sykedaddy wrote:I would love to hear from some of the international users of this site about the international view of the MIT Sloan MBA.

Most prospective students always talk about Harvard/Stanford/Wharton as the top rung. Then the discussion usually turns to Chicago/Columbia/Northwestern...and it appears MIT always gets short-changed. The program is relatively small, and has been painted as an engineering school.

Would love to hear others opinions. To me MIT stands for intellectual horsepower period. Whether, engineering, finance or whatever.
I'd be interested in hearing about this international perspective as well. I think MIT has done a good job branding itself as a school for entrepreneurship in the last few years--it's not just a school for engineers anymore.

I agree though that MIT does tend to get overshadowed by Harvard/Wharton/Stanford...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: MIT Sloan

by aim-wsc » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 pm
beatthegmat wrote: I agree though that MIT does tend to get overshadowed by Harvard/Wharton/Stanford...
But it belongs to M7 (top seven cluster) I dont know how many of you know this term (it means it's one of the top seven American b-school)

MIT is a big brand name around the globe.

Since the thread starter has especially demanded international perspective about the school; let me tell you an interesting thing:
MIT was the first American university I was aware of. Yes being an engineering student its obvious. but you'll be surprised to know that I started recognising Harvard pretty late! forget about other universities.
Now you can guess the brand value/brand awareness of MIT 8)

I too myself was thinking of applying to MIT sometime back and so started researching about it. But after some study I realise the school is not correct fit for me.(and vice versa)
I'm not a tech stud. nor I had great under-grad degree. No IIT tag. No tech paper publishing during education. Clearly my engg is pathetic. And even though I call myself entrepreneur I'm not into ^inventing^ stuffs.

I dont know why but I many times correlate MIT with Stanford. Surely they have lot of similarities.

Btw I'm not aim-wSc anymore! Stanford is not in my list anymore... :-/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Thanks

by sykedaddy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:04 am
Your comments are very helpful. I definitely like the MIT program, small like stanford, quantitative like chicago, and impeccable brand. I'm just checking to see if I am missing something. Particularly in the BW rankings the school's position has been relatively volatile. Not that those rankings are the best to reference.

Johnny C what schools are you now considering?
No WAMMYs!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 am
Yeah I wouldn't have any qualms about MIT--it's brand recognition across the world is quite strong...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: Thanks

by aim-wsc » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:13 am
sykedaddy wrote:
Johnny C what schools are you now considering?
Ah! do you really wanna know? ;)
lets keep this thread for MIT :lol:
As par my MBA plans and application: I ave long way to go.

My answer has no substance if I'm not applying this year. who knows, I might change my preferences over next few years...if you're interested, do keep tab on my blog and you'll know about it in a year or so :lol: