Need guidance in composing application form esays

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi to all wonderful people out there ,
I need some guidance in filling applications forms and composing essays. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

First a bit about myself .. I was born and brought up in Kolkata, India. I am an engineer with 4+ years of experience in 2 software MNCs. I also have one year of international experience(US) in my kitty.

I returned to Indian shores in June this year, decided to take GMAT and studied for one and half months. I took the test on 2nd Sept, got a score 690 (v34, m49).

Though I am not exactly happy with the score, I have decided to go-ahead with the same and apply.

This is my first experience with GMAT and I have little idea regarding how to write the essays, how to make them stand out amongst thousand others etc.

I will be really grateful if any one in the forum shares his knowledge and expertise in this matter. Basically, I am looking for answers to the following:
1. What are the useful links/websites that can provide me guidance in writing good essays?
2. Is there any book that I can follow to master the art of writing essays typically required for B-schools?
3. Any other suggestions that will ensure my application does not end up in waste paper bins?

Thank you all in advance and best of luck to all members preparing for GMAT
Bye

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

WElcome

by aim-wsc » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:18 pm
hello
Randas Dada :D

welcome to the BeattheGMAT! Forum & congrats for your GMAT score.

This site s special forums dedicated to "B-schools discussion" and "admissions Consulting" by renown Consultant Ms Stacy Blackman.
I will be really grateful if any one in the forum shares his knowledge and expertise in this matter. Basically, I am looking for answers to the following:
1. What are the useful links/websites that can provide me guidance in writing good essays?
2. Is there any book that I can follow to master the art of writing essays typically required for B-schools?
3. Any other suggestions that will ensure my application does not end up in waste paper bins?

Thank you all in advance and best of luck to all members preparing for GMAT
expertise ?
:roll: well i am not expert in the field (nor am in any other :p)
but i can share what i know. some useful resources you might find interesting....

Dear Randas,
check these websites and blogs.

Accepted

ClearAdmit

also our very own Stacy

MBA zone

the above sites also provide great blogs...find links for blogs in the respective sites.
Also some informative + full o resources blogs u want to know
https://daveformba.blocked
https://mbaleague.blocked

you know the best part of this third era...
errr! i mean information era .... BLogs & forums. :D :D
i personally think, forums really help youto excel in GMAT and when it comes to apping process its the blogs really acompany you.

i see many (loads n loads of ) people blog during their MBA school applicaion process. this keeps them in tune and inspired.

Regarding Essay in particular... i think that s very interesting and time consuming part. needs good quality time with self...lots of introspection needs....

all the best.

by Randas » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:13 pm
Hello aim-wsc,
Thanks a ton for taking the pains of reading my post and furnishing the bunch of info!
I am new to the forum (and to the world of blogs and forums in general), so yet to unearth the gold mine of information here.
BTW, have you already taken GMAT? If yes, what is your score and where are you planning to apply etc.

Bye and thanks again..
Your faliure to plan does not constitute emergency on my part!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SummerSquall » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:54 pm
A 690 is a very competitive score. No worries, dude! Nice job.

Another site to add to your list is www.review.com. There are some very useful articles there about applying to school, including what the schools are looking for in the essays.

by Randas » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:05 pm
Thanks a lot SummerSquall.
The link is directing me to Princetonreview website. Is this the intended link you are suggesting?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:56 pm
check this random link. also read the comments that follows...

https://inblueblogs.blocked/2006/08/essay-way.html

btw i hv long way to go... u applying this year?

by Randas » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:14 pm
Thanks again aim.
I have booked another date on 10 th Oct.. hoping to score 700+ this time (not sure if this is a good decision).
I will try to apply to few institutes after that .. let's see. Yeah, I want to start applying this year.. i m getting old you know.. i m on the wrong side of twenty's

hi

by saysha » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:52 am
congrats randas.
www.review.com gives lotsa info for b schools public/private :)

by Randas » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:58 pm
Thanks saysha.. I think I hit the bull's eye when I thought of posting my query here. The forum rocks..people have been directing me to the relevant links all along