680....Disappointed but it could have been worse

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Q46 V38 O680

So my plan on the exam was to definitely get the first 10 questions correct on each section. I figured that this shouldn't be that difficult since I've been achieving that on the Powerpreps and Gmat preps. However, on the third quant question I was completely stumped. When I finally figured out the answer 10 minutes had passed. What sucked was that it was so simple yet i just didn't see it. This question along with the more difficult ones further down just messed up my timing.

The verbal was pretty bad also. Everything I was reading just wasn't processing in my head. I had to reread the passages constantly. And even then I wasn't 100% sure on some of the answers. I think it was nervousness although I didn't feel nervous.

I just didn't feel confident at all during this exam.

The reason that I feel that it could have been worse is if I felt confident on this exam but still ended up with the same score my self confidence would have sunk so low. The fact that I ended up with a respectable score despite the setbacks makes me feel like I can do much better. I just have to improve my timing and not be so nervous.

I will take this exam again.
Last edited by jrbrown2 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:1 members

by givemeanid » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:51 pm
jbrown2, do not worry. You seem to have identified that the bigger cause to not perform to your expectations was not a lack of preparation from study point of view but lack of confidence during the exam. That in itself is a big step. Some help in your timing and you will be good to go!
So It Goes

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by lanter1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:52 pm
Don't fall for the get the first ten questions right myth. Try to answer every question and know when to move on.

I would re-take. You will have more confidence and know how to handle the real thing. By the way, your score is still pretty good.

by drhomler » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:23 am
I agree with Lanter that first ten question thing is a bit of a myth, of course you want to get them right but the picture is more important.

You are in a good position with a 680 to stand on, so when you go back in there the second time you wont be as nervous and you'll hit your target. Im in the same boat with the same score. My breakdown is slightly different but not much. I am doing th exact same thing, retaking in three weeks and I think I will be much more comfortable the second time around. Our scores show we can do the "math" so its all about being comfortable in the moment, keep your prep up focus on your weak areas but remember to be solid and raise your baseline ie dont give up the easy points the ones you know how to do.

Good luck

by jrbrown2 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:42 am
I was hoping to get the GMAT over with before I begin working. I've just finished school and wanted to take the GMAT while my brain was still in "student mode" since the scores are valid for 5 years.

Although I'll be working, I should be able to study 2-3 hours per day.