LBS and INSEAD

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

LBS and INSEAD

by tongtoey » Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 am
Hi all,

I'm doing some research about LBS and INSEAD program now and a bit confused ..

My background :

GPA 3.36 B.Engineering degree
GMAT 710 (thanks "Just beat the GMAT" forum for encouraging me during my down time)
IELTS 8
Work : 5.2 years in Oilfield service company (4yr int experience)

1) I would like to do MBA to open my doors to consultant company and/or move out from oilfield.
2) I choose LBS and INSEAD because its diversity and location (Europe). I would like to work in Europe in the future.

----------

However, here are my questions..
1) Is it true that INSEAD is better for consultant/industry goal than LBS?
2) Heard that LBS is comparable to top 5 US but not INSEAD. Will it make any different during job seeking after MBA?
3) Wonder about how INSEAD can finish a program in 10 months when other programs need 15-24 months.
4) I would like to get a job in Europe. So will it be better to study in Europe than in US? If not, is my profile is good enough for top 5 US MBA?

Thanks guys

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 pm
Hi Tony,
To be honest, I am not too familiar with European MBA programs, however I would be more than happy to put you in touch with one of our Veritas Prep INSEAD/LBS Admissions consultants who can give you better guidance. Feel free to Private Message me and can forward along your details.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Thu May 21, 2009 12:08 am
My answers, which are based purely on my own research and not on any kind of hard data - I'm sure you can dig it up if you wanted to. I did research on these programs because I am interested in working abroad so wanted an international degree at one point.

1) Is it true that INSEAD is better for consultant/industry goal than LBS?
Yes, LBS is famous for finance and INSEAD for consulting.

2) Heard that LBS is comparable to top 5 US but not INSEAD. Will it make any different during job seeking after MBA?
INSEAD is not quite as well known in the US, but is quite known in Europe so it depends on where you will be seeking a job.

3) Wonder about how INSEAD can finish a program in 10 months when other programs need 15-24 months.
INSEAD is a one year program; LBS is a two year program. The biggest difference is that two year programs are better for career changers while one years are great if you already know you want to continue the same career you are in now. Two years allow you to explore more and intern over the summer. Also, keep in mind one year programs often expect more experience (7-8 years vs 5 years) since the program is more accelerated.

4) I would like to get a job in Europe. So will it be better to study in Europe than in US? If not, is my profile is good enough for top 5 US MBA?
If you want a job in Europe, get a European degree - it will help you more I think. However, keep in mind that a European degree may not have as much cachet if you ever do try to get a job in the US.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Musicolo » Sat May 30, 2009 2:05 am
Hi,
My advice to you is that you should not over analyze this since both INSEAD and LBS are well known schools. INSEAD may not be well known generally in the USA, but human resource manages from all top companies sure do know what INSEAD is and how well it is ranked.

Both INSEAD and LBS are good for either finance and/or consulting, its up to you where you see yourself in future and if you want to study one vs two years.

Whether you want to work in the USA or in Europe both schools are fine and so would be an American MBA if you wanted to work in Europe. I think that people in these forums dwell too much about the schools and subsequent opportunities, where, what, how, which school is good for finance, which school is good for consulting and etc etc. You can start in Europe and if you change your mind and want to move to the USA, the school you went to won't make much difference if you are good at your work. Do you think that everyone who moved to the USA from Europe had to obtain an American MBA or some other American degree? I know bunch of people who got amazing jobs at top American investment banks, consulting firms etc. with European B-schools ranked lower then INSEAD or LBS.

So, be happy if you are admitted to either two and enjoy it :)
Dino

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nittinj » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:15 pm
Well I agree with wats said above...e.g

MCK, BCG, BAIN, ATK,E&Y, Citigrp, Lehman, UBS, GE, ABB, Apple, Google, Microsoft etc everybody knows that thrs a quality school in europe called LBS/ Insead n if u perform well may be within 3-12 mnths of joining u can be shifted to usa if thts ur dream....

however as i read at some blog...in LBS & Insead, IMD u will find very few americans/ chinese/ australians for some reason....

after reading abt these schools i found tht Insead curriculum is pretty fast paced n more challenging thn perhaps ne other mba programme coz -
- its 1 yr programme with 400 odd students one of the highest so tougher competition
- if u analyze the input to Insead almost 35-40% ppl r already frm top consulting n finance bckgrnd and hence making things even more competitive
- i thnk Insead Sep intake is not very gud idea for carrer changers as it doesnt have internship option but i am not sure how much Insead work for getting internship & how many students actually get internships
- from financing point of view LBS is gud as it has lesser competiton for scholarships....gud tie up with hsbc for loans etc

rgds