Disappointed with a 650

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Disappointed with a 650

by sck159 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:07 pm
Last week I wrote my GMAT and got a 650 :(
Quant ( 48 ) and Verbal ( 32 )

A few things I realized are:

1) DON'T JUST DEPEND ON KAPLAN AND DON'T TRUST KAPLAN SCORES

Until the final week I spent all my time on KAPLAN.
(Kaplan CD, Kaplan Book and Kaplan 800)
In my initial practice I did work on OG but only on verbal.
Even on verbal I didn't go through all the questions.
Man this strategy backfired so bad.

I took all 4 kaplan tests and I got 590, 630,620 and 640.
I took the last one the week before the exam and I was so disappointed with 640.
Though I registered at beat the GMAT a while ago I never participated in the forum.I was looking for some guidance and so
after reading a few threads I immediately realized that I was making a mistake by not going through OG.
That brings up my point 2.
2) OG IS THE BIBLE.
I tried to get as much done in the final week.
I took the GMAT Prep1, Power Prep 1 and 2 and Gmat Prep 2 tests.
The scores were 660,700,690 and 700.
My goal was to get a score of around 720 and above.

These scores made me less nervous since I was close to 700.
But it always felt like the kaplan practice didn't really help me prepare for GMAT exam. I was making a lot of mistakes on GMAT prep math but on kaplan I never made more than 4 mistakes at a time. Also the questions in the exam had a different feel to them (obviously more like OG)

Anyway long story short I need a few more weeks of solid work on OG verbal, quant and also work on my SC(using MGMAT, OG and Kaplan) to get over 700.
As per GMAC rules since I can't take the exam for another month I will try to use that month more efficiently.I will try to participate in the forum more actively now.

Let's go kick some serious butt.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by drhomler » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:17 am
Good luck-I think you have made some great realizations in terms of the prep. Based on my current preparation and all the practice tests, the OG11, verbal, and quant books are the best resources for learning the "gmat mind" the other prep course materials like mgmat, kaplan, and PR are helpful but can't completely substitute fot seeing "real" problems.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sck159 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:35 am
Thanks.
There are some great posts on this forum and also on beat the GMAT wiki.
This forum and OG should help me get to 720 and above.