Kaplan verbal wbook question - what exactly is wrong in A?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a test developed in the 1930s to assess character, attitudes, and behaviour, is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased.

A ...
B. has recently been attacked as dated and culturally biased and is finally being revised.

Option B is officially correct but, in my openion, changes the original meaning.

"After many attacks recently" means there might have been attacks earlier but the only "large number of recent attacks" was the reason.

While
"Has recently been attacked" removes the "many" nature of attacks and shifts the meaning considerably.

Unless there is something grossly incorrect with A, A should be correct...

Can somebody explain exactly what is wrong in A?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by drhomler » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:19 pm
It definitely changes the meaning in B, but the way A reads it almost doesnt mean anything. A- makes no sense logically when I read it. B changes it to make sense. I dont know what the other choices were but I cant see A as a possibility because I cant understand what it is trying to say. Sorry I cant explain it any better than that.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Nisha1218 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:39 pm
Answer B is clearly the correct answer because it puts all events in chronological order whereas A does it backwards.

by abbtg » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:41 pm
"recently" can be used only as an adverb and there is no verb or adjective to be modified by "recently" in "many attacks".

Choice B correctly uses recently to modify "been attacked" ..

The error in A is grave enough to allow a different answer choice to fix it gramatically even if the meaning is compromised a bit (or more than just a bit).

by abbtg » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:43 pm
Nisha1218, thanks for replying.. I got the explanation from someone else.