SC - Tense

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

SC - Tense

by f2001290 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:44 pm
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

A. because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
B. with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target
C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would
D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:53 pm
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

A. because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
B. with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target – Predicted is the wrong tense, the action is still going on
C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would - Same as B
D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will- Redundant “due to the fact”

“Due to” mean “caused by” and it should only be used if it can be substituted with “caused by”. So it is necessary to use “because” here, so I will go with A
Isis Alaska

Followed by:1 members

by f2001290 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:32 pm
OA is D. I am surprised

Community Manager

by isisalaska » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:48 pm
Me too, due to the fact sounds kind of redundant... :?
Isis Alaska

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sadowski » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm
I agree with Isis, I think the answer has to be A.

Another reason is that the end of the sentence, if answer D is used, doesn't make sense:

"...analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target be raised again in November."

This is assuming the original question actually looks like this:

Since the part of the sentence we're supposed to correct is not underlined, it takes extra time to clarify exactly which words are part of the original sentence and which words are part of the phrase to be corrected.

You should really add the underlined part to your questions.

by drhomler » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:09 pm
I would have gone with A too. The 1000SC while useful for additional practice is kinda frustrating because there is no way to verify the accuracy of the material. it scares me too because I dont want to be practicing off of incorrect information and further ruining my already poor grammar skills. Im sticking with the OG and Kaplan 800 for now unless I get desperate towards the end.

Community Manager

by isisalaska » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:21 am
I Know!
I have found quite a few questions in this document whose answers are wrong. Here is another example:

#678- Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.
(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun’s surface, which have never been sighted on

Right answer is A even though 1000Sc says is C. This is a OG 11th edition question. (pg. 666 , question #9)
Isis Alaska