720!!!! 49Q, 41V. I am very happy

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

720!!!! 49Q, 41V. I am very happy

by gaggleofgirls » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:13 pm
I took the test this morning (Feb 10).

I have to say that the challenging questions in the Math section of this board were great prep for the test and I know my Quant score is significantly higher than it would have been without this board.

And a nod to 'older' candidates. It has been 22 years since I graduated with my BA and about that long since i have used most of the algebra and geometry that are on the test. You CAN relearn it and you CAN do well.

My process:

I purchased the PDF books from GMAT Hacks (www.gmathacks.com) and these were great, especially for re-learning the math. The math book goes subject by subject through math teaching it. I did the books and all the questions in them and then I joined this board.

I took three full practice tests (640, 680, 730), simulating the test conditions as much as possible (turned off cell and email and kept away all distractions, took the two 10 min breaks where I just had water and bathroom, put away all my notes and books and anything else that might be helpful and just did the test). This type of practice was great for test day feeling familiar.

Then, what I did between practice tests was to go over every question on the practice test and make sure I knew how to do it. I started with the ones I missed, but I went back and did all the ones I got right also, just to cement that I really owned that type of question. Where I couldn't do or re-do the question well and correctly, then I re-studied that area with the GMAT Hacks books, friends and this board.

I also spent just about every night for the past month on this board attempting all the math problems posted and reading all the answers and explanations for those I could not get until I understood them.

I live in the mountains, 150 miles from the nearest test center, so I had to drive to a major city last night. I stayed with friends, did a bit of review, but mostly relaxed and got a good night's sleep.

And, I really tried NOT to analyze the test as I was taking it, just do each problem, answer it and completely move on. I also periodically checked what Question number I was on and how much time was left. I was on top of it to the last 10 problems and then spent a bit too much time in there somewhere becuase I got to the last problem with 48 seconds left. I knew how to do the problem, but needed more time to complete it, so I did enough to eliminate 3 answers and then guessed with 10 sec left. A little closer than I wanted to cut it.

As for the verbal, the big thing it NOT to think about the Quant while you are taking it. You will find out your Quant score soon enough and you can't change any of the Quant answers, so FORGET THE QUANT and focus on the verbal. I also found that writing down A/B/C/D/E before starting each question was a nice break and then gave me a place to cross off obviously wrong answers and make notations about which answers seemed best.

Good luck everyone.

-Carrie
Last edited by gaggleofgirls on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm
Congratulations on your awesome score! You have a pretty good balance of Q and V! I hope you are able to get into the program of your choice.

by gaggleofgirls » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm
Thanks. For a number of reasons, online MBA is my only option, so I will be applying to Indiana University, Penn State and Arizona State University as they have the best online MBA programs.

I hope to have a choice :)

I will be completing my applications this week.

-Carrie

by awesomeusername » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm
So you'll be getting ANOTHER MBA?

by gaggleofgirls » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:08 pm
Sorry if I confused you, I have a BA in Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley 1987. That is the only degree I have.

The online program will be the way I get my MBA.

I am not sure what you mean by another MBA?

-Carrie

by awesomeusername » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 pm
Oh OK, you said:
And a nod to 'older' candidates. It has been 22 years since I graduated with my MBA and about that long since i have used most of the algebra and geometry that are on the test. You CAN relearn it and you CAN do well.
Berkeley is very close to where I live :)

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:58 pm
Congratulations on the great score and good luck with your applications!

by gaggleofgirls » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:05 pm
awesomeusername wrote:Oh OK, you said:
And a nod to 'older' candidates. It has been 22 years since I graduated with my MBA and about that long since i have used most of the algebra and geometry that are on the test. You CAN relearn it and you CAN do well.
Berkeley is very close to where I live :)
My typo, meant BA not MBA. I have corrected the original post.

-Carrie

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:25 pm
Congrats Carrie! This is an awesome score, great work!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by marcusking » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 am
Congrats, your story is very motivating for me. Please don't be a stranger now that you've destroyed the GMAT, you've been very helpful in the forums.

Good luck at which ever school you choose.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mals24 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:34 am
Congrats on your great score Carrie :) . Any tips or suggestions on how to tackle that verbal beast.

Legendary Member

by gabriel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am
Congratulations!!