GENERAL STRATEGIES TO INFERENCE QUSTIONS

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

GENERAL STRATEGIES TO INFERENCE QUSTIONS

by 4meonly » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:38 am
Guys,

I have some problems with inference questions.
What can you suggest to improve this type of questions?

Thank you!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by leswm » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:54 pm
The best advice (courtesy of MGMAT) is to treat inference questions like RC inference. Don't go too far from the information they provide. If the information has not been stated in the passage, then it's wrong. To illustrate, I picked this question from a search on this forum.

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.
Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Let's analyze:
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
>> all?? maybe if you assume that all pple who want him out can actually take over the company. What if it's the Labor Association?
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
>> we don't know if there are any misdeeds at all. Even if there were, there's no way you can tell that he did it for the good of the corporation
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
>> Per stem "no court has found me guilty". Not guilty doesn't mean he's innocent. May be he hasn't been caught.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
>> True, right from passage - "Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show,..."
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.
>> no one said that.