Will you use an admissions consultant?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies

Yes
40%
No
35%
Maybe
25%

Total votes: 20

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sadowski » Tue May 22, 2007 12:44 pm
It strikes me that most of the people involved with this site (i.e. those preparing not to simply take the GMAT, but to destroy the GMAT) are slightly maniacal about business school and are always looking for ways to increase their odds at top schools.

Based on the volume of questions in Stacy's area, it looks like a lot of people are interested in using an admissions consultant in order to create air tight application packages.

Are you planning on using an admissions consultant?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
Sadowski wrote:It strikes me that most of the people involved with this site (i.e. those preparing not to simply take the GMAT, but to destroy the GMAT) are slightly maniacal about business school and are always looking for ways to increase their odds at top schools.

Based on the volume of questions in Stacy's area, it looks like a lot of people are interested in using an admissions consultant in order to create air tight application packages.

Are you planning on using an admissions consultant?
Nice poll. I like your description, "slightly maniacal." :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by gothedistance » Tue May 22, 2007 2:03 pm
I will because it is part of my scholarship, but I couldn't afford to otherwise :oops:

Danielle
Applying to b-school for fall 2009 depending on our relocation status
Mother of 3, 1 girl and b/b twins
motivated/dedicated student of the world

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Tue May 22, 2007 7:46 pm
I'm answering this for you in general terms (not necessarily applicable to me)

-For better prospects, YES.
-If a good MBA program, which is stretch, is going to improve my 'status quo' , YES.

I think MBA is an expensive business yet the return is still greater. So most of (in fact ALL) applicants look at it as an investment.

If you're ready to shell out ~$100000 for your program, I think $2000 is no big deal.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Just last week, I was speaking to an admissions director at UCLA Anderson about the use of admissions consultants, if he could tell when someone uses one, if it'll reflect badly on applicants, etc.

Obviously, admissions consultants are big business. But basically, he said something to the effect of applicants needing to be smart about using them. It's good to have someone proofread your essays, but adcoms can tell if you've had someone else write it for you. Your application has to be consitent. You can't have a beautifully written essay and during an interview, struggle with English, for example.

The Anderson adcom said that using a consultant won't necessarily disqualify you from admissions but your perfect application won't put you at the top of the pile if they know.

There's a lot of stigma about consultants but I think they have a wealth of information. If you use their help wisely, it can be of benefit to you. If you think they'll do all the hard work for you... you're entering risky territory.

We did a podcast on consultants. Check it out if you're interested!
Janet
MBA Podcaster

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

what say stacy?

by aim-wsc » Mon May 28, 2007 10:51 pm
I'd like to hear Stacy B.'s comment here.
I mean, I would like to hear from admission consultants. as why we should buy thier services?

... It's an honest question of thread starter.