Online vs. Offline

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Online vs. Offline

by Elderas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:03 am
I own the book Kaplan Premiere 2009 and I experienced some issues with the CATs that I probably could have avoided if I would have discovered this board earlier.

I was really confused by my different results in the CATs.

Kaplan free test (online): 540 (this one I took before I started to learn)
Kaplan #1 (CD): 560 (after some study, in other tests I was around 640)
Kaplan #2 (CD): 560 (after more study, in other tests I was around 680)
Kaplan #3 (online): 720 (today, 1 week before exam, other test I am around 680-700)

Problem in #3 is that I already knew a lot of questions from previous exams or online quizzes (I have done all the monthly quizzes)

This is definetely impacting my results, therefore I would like to know how I can avoid the repetition of questions?

Further, should I take the next CAT online or offline?

Is the CAT "Online Practice Test" based on another question pool?

Thanks for your quick help. My exam is on 15.12.08

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by vidabella417 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:15 am
Dear Elderas,

The scoring algorithm on the CD CATs tends to skew lower than actual GMAT scores (around 70 - 100 points), so since you got 560s on those CD tests, you actually scored around 630 - 660. Well done!!

As for avoiding repeat questions, that's easy. First off, your Online Companion came with one additional practice test (Online Practice Test), and the 4 tests from the CD. (These were added for MAC users, since our CD only works on PCs. The CD tests are clearly labeled, though, in your companion---for example, "Practice Test 1 from the CD-ROM".)

I don't know which test you took as Practice #3, but if you took any of the tests from the CD that are found in your Online Companion, then you will have seen repeat questions. However, the "Online Practice Test" does, in fact, use another question pool. So you should take that test, or the last two tests on the CD, if you want more practice.

Also, do keep in mind that you may run into questions seem to be the same in various GMAT products (even when their not) for two reasons: One, the GMAT is a standardized test, so you are going to be tested on the same skills, principles and ideas in all the practice questions you take, be it with Kaplan or other prep products. And two, a lot of questions use similar topics---like for math, there may be questions about buying various tickets at a train station. The numbers used and the answer choices will be very similar in order to be realistic.

I hope this has been helpful, and I wish you the best of luck on your exam!

Sincerely,

Monica P. Lugo
Editor - Kaplan Publishing

--

We build futures one success story at a time. Visit us at www.kaplanpublishing.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

kaplan scores

by kart.dirk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17 pm
i have taken the offline tests of the 2008-09 gmat800 kaplan tests (offline)

the score i have been getting is far below expectations

cat 1 37 q 32 v 570
cat 2 44q 29 v 590
cat3 42q 32 v 600

are these an accurate indicator of my scores or are these lower than what i may get ??????

am really worried !!!!!!!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:06 pm
Hi Kart,

As my colleague mentioned above, the tests on the CDROM (offline) skew lower in score than the online versions, by about 70-100 points. So it looks like you are performing quite well all in all. Good luck as you finish your studies, and let us know if you have further specific questions!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member