Which Box Do I Fit?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Which Box Do I Fit?

by Charlie9 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:55 pm
I am 32 and will receive my bachelor's degree in May 2009. I have attended two colleges and did not finish the first college due to a couple difficult circumstances. I spent 5 years putting things into perspective before essentially starting college over in 2006.

In those interim years, I gained experience in Investment Banking, Corporate Banking and Economic Research, although didn't stay at any one place for longer than 15 months. I also spent some time in an entrepreneurial role as a private fitness trainer. I loved that job by the way, despite the sometimes discontinuous income stream.

Since starting college over I have compiled a 3.96 GPA(previous college grades were around 2.5; no excuses there. simply gain in maturity, focus, discipline and determination) Finally, I am in the in 700+ range in current GMAT prep course(diagnostic test results.) For what it's worth, I am a black American man.

The MBA will enable me to manage the leap to a career as a buyout entrepreneur. Given the certainty of my post MBA plans and frankly, my age, I want to start an MBA program in Fall 2009.

Hopefully, I have provided enough context for the following questions:
1) Which box do I fit? Am i an older applicant, college senior etc...?
2) All my work experience came without a college degree, so does it count?
3) I am applying in R3 to following places: HBS, Stanford, USC, Wharton, UC Berkeley, and UCLA. What insight can you share, here?

Thank you for your indulgence. I look forward to your responses.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:28 pm
Charlie9,

Thanks for your note. Since you have completed 6 years of work before going back to college, you clearly have a non traditional story.

I assume that the adcom will treat you as an older applicant - a college grad with 6+ years of work experience (you just happened to complete the work experience before college.)

Academically, you will be a competitive applicant assuming that you get a good (700+) GMAT score to complement your 3.9 college gpa. This will put to rest any concerns about your prior academic history.

My real questions concern your work experience. Did you accomplish a lot at work? Can you show an upward trajectory in your career? Did you take on leadership roles at work? If you can answer Yes to these questions, then your work experience should be in good shape. However, if you were hopping from one entry level job to another every 15 months, then this could be an issue.

You mentioned that you are thinking of applying Round 3 to: HBS, Stanford, USC, Wharton, UC Berkeley, and UCLA. This poses a bit of a dilemma: It is generally a better idea to apply in Round 1 or 2 to top schools - it is harder to gain admission in Round 3. While you are welcome to apply in Round 3, I recommend applying in Round 2 if at all possible. In addition, HBS and Stanford will be real reaches, especially since they seem to be favoring younger applicants these days. You would have a better chance at schools like Berkeley, UCLA and USC. Again, a lot will depend on the quality of your work experience.

We do offer a free initial phone consultation if you would like to chat about your Round 2 vs Round 3 decision in more detail.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.