640 in 4 weeks....good enough for me!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

640 in 4 weeks....good enough for me!

by allenkt » Thu May 10, 2007 11:48 am
I began studying about 4 weeks ago using Kaplan. Then after reading these forums I picked up the OG 11 and the Quant Review. My verbal was pretty strong so I just wanted to concentrate on the quantitative. I did go through the verbal questions and studied some, but the vast majority of my time was spent on the math part. And btw, I work a full time job usually 12 hours per day (be at work by 5:30am and get home around 6pm) and I have three teenage children and a wife at home. So my personal life was not exactly conducive to studying. But I did what I had to do and got it done.

I took the GMATPrep test four times (reinstalled it for the last two) and scored a 560 at the beginning, then 620 towards the end (four days ago). On the second time around I did recognize some of the questions so it wasn't completely accurate but I scored a 550 (this one scared me) and then 660 the next day.

This morning I was fairly nervous. I'm glad it starts off with the AWA because that gave me a chance to settle down. Once I got to the quantitative, the first few questions seemed pretty easy but it seemed like at least the last 30 questions were pretty darn hard. Some of them I just had to guess on so I could spend more time on other questions.

Once it was all over I was kind of dreading the results because I thought I had bombed the quantitative part. So I was elated to see a score of 640 (80th percentile) with Q=41 and V=37. 640 might not be the best but it is good enough to get me into the school I'm applying for.

The only glitch came at the end when I was all done and I had already seen my scores my computer popped an error message talking about some critical error with the computer. At first I thought maybe it lost my scores but luckily they just had to make some calls and they got it figured out.

Anyway, the forum was very helpful to me and I got the score I needed :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Congrats

by gmat2009 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:47 pm
A 640 is a very good score. And you can actually apply to very good programs with a 640, including top programs. For some, it might mean a waitlist for a really top program, but sometimes you never know - I know a friend who was accepted to a top 5 program with a 640. Other elements of the application will certainly help. GMAT is not the only factor.

Congrats!

by allenkt » Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 pm
And actually I just received my acceptance from the Moore School of Business (at University of South Carolina) into their International MBA Program, currently rated #2 :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Thu May 10, 2007 5:16 pm
Congrats!!! All the best for your MBA journey...

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by gothedistance » Thu May 10, 2007 5:58 pm
allenkt wrote:And actually I just received my acceptance from the Moore School of Business (at University of South Carolina) into their International MBA Program, currently rated #2 :)
I will be applying there very soon!!!!! I am hoping to do well on my gmat to get some scholarship money, because otherwise I won't be able to do it..... we have 3 kids to feed as well....

Danielle
Applying to b-school for fall 2009 depending on our relocation status
Mother of 3, 1 girl and b/b twins
motivated/dedicated student of the world

by gothedistance » Thu May 10, 2007 5:59 pm
forgot to add, congratulations :oops: I should have posted that before :)

Danielle

by allenkt » Thu May 10, 2007 6:46 pm
Thanks Danielle and good luck on the GMAT! When do you take the test? I think the application deadline is next Tuesday so I assume you're taking it pretty soon?

You'll have to let me know how the application goes. If you make it then at least I won't be the only one in there with three kids :) And btw, the application process seems to go pretty quickly. I submitted everything except the GMAT results a few weeks ago then today I faxed my results in at 1pm and had my acceptance letter (via email) by 4pm.

Best of luck and keep me updated! And in case I'm not on the boards as much you can email me at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 pm
Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear that this community helped you achieve your goal!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by gothedistance » Fri May 11, 2007 6:09 am
allenkt wrote:Thanks Danielle and good luck on the GMAT! When do you take the test? I think the application deadline is next Tuesday so I assume you're taking it pretty soon?

You'll have to let me know how the application goes. If you make it then at least I won't be the only one in there with three kids :) And btw, the application process seems to go pretty quickly. I submitted everything except the GMAT results a few weeks ago then today I faxed my results in at 1pm and had my acceptance letter (via email) by 4pm.

Best of luck and keep me updated! And in case I'm not on the boards as much you can email me at [email protected]
Oh, I won't be in for next year, as we have to sell our house in NY first and move down there (I can get in state tuition then too) and I REALLY need to study a ton for the GMAT. I could use as much financial aid as possible so I really really have to work my rear off.....

I'll probably email you off board with more ? about the whole process. Do you live in SC? I know the area soooo well now with house hunting etc and my whole family has now moved down there from the Northeast.

Danielle