how to prepare

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

how to prepare

by krishnakanthpps » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 pm
hi

I am writin GMAT in 7-8 weeks time. I felt that verbal and more specifically Sentence correction part was my weakness. But then when i started preparing for CR. i felt I had problems in it also.

My question is how shud the preparation strategy go when you have multiple weaknesses ( basically in Verbal). In verbal you have RC , CR and SC.

I had worked on SC for abt 2-3 weeks till i was confident enough in it. But then in GMAT you have all these coming up one after another depending on how your performance is going.

so is it worthy to prepare them one at a time, or if anybody can suggest a different startegy to counter this thing.

Please let me know.
KK

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: how to prepare

by beatthegmat » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:44 pm
krishnakanthpps wrote:hi

I am writin GMAT in 7-8 weeks time. I felt that verbal and more specifically Sentence correction part was my weakness. But then when i started preparing for CR. i felt I had problems in it also.

My question is how shud the preparation strategy go when you have multiple weaknesses ( basically in Verbal). In verbal you have RC , CR and SC.

I had worked on SC for abt 2-3 weeks till i was confident enough in it. But then in GMAT you have all these coming up one after another depending on how your performance is going.

so is it worthy to prepare them one at a time, or if anybody can suggest a different startegy to counter this thing.

Please let me know.
KK
Hi KK:

One concern I had when I was studying for the GMAT was: I would devote a solid 2-3 weeks mastering one area of the GMAT, like SC. Then, when I moved on to study another area of the GMAT for 2-3 weeks, I would be afraid that I would start forgetting the material I had learned previously.

Here's my suggested strategy:

I think that it is correct to devote 2-3 weeks to a single subject (like SC), then move on to another subject for 2-3 weeks, and so forth. To stay fresh on the material you learned previously, be sure to do 10 practice problems from OG for the previous subject(s) you had covered. Thus, your study strategy could look something like this:
  • First two weeks: SC
  • Second two weeks: CR, and 10 SC questions each day
  • Third two weeks: RC, and 10 SC questions and 10 CR questions each day
  • etc.
Notice that this strategy requires you to do more and more work as you get closer to your exam. At the same time though, I think you will find that this strategy is a great way to stay fresh on the material you had learned.

If you have time, I encourage you to read through my blog: https://beatthegmat.blocked. You can read how I implemented this exact strategy during my own GMAT prep.

Also, I recommend that you read this post. The strategy I outlined above was his originally, and I adapted it to my own prep.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

excellent

by krishnakanthpps » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:10 am
hi erin.

thanks for the excellent piece of advice. i guess i read this a number of times. yet forgot this advice.

thanks again.

by night » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:51 pm
:shock: great advice!! :shock: b thanks