Post College Extracurrilar Activities

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Post College Extracurrilar Activities

by mastahan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:43 pm
Stacy,

I was wondering how important post college extra curricular activities are. During college i was very involved in non-profits and student orgs, but during my professional years i was not. BTW, The first 2 years I attended graduate school full time in engineering while working full time. My work is very time consuming, I do research and have won company research awards based on my work. The minimal extra curr stuff I do is with my church group, we volunteer and meet up , but theres no real hierarchy as in leadership roles.

thanks!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:16 pm
Depending on the target school, and the contents of the rest of your application, the post college extra-curriculars can be very important. These activities are a way to show that there is more to you than your career, and that you have multiple dimensions. They are also a means to exhibit leadership, teamwork and other important skills. With many apps, you may find that just writing about work leads to a very boring application. Or perhaps you cannot even answer some of the questions because you do not have content. Your church activities may be enough, or perhaps you have some activities that you have engaged in through your office. Keep in mind that it is not about quantity of activities - it really is about the quality of your involvements.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me