pls. evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

pls. evaluate my profile

by jas1984 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:12 pm
Hello,

I am having a lot of difficulty trying to evaluate my chances of getting in an MBA Program. If someone could pls. help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. Below are a few facts about me:

Undergraduate
Graduate from University of Toronto with a 2.17 GPA - I know it's very low and that's what scares me - this does not represent my acedemic potential ... I slacked off big time during my undergrad which I do regret today :( .. but I guess it's too late for that.

Work Experience
2.5 years full time - promoted twice within this time period. I work at a Head Office for a big North American Retailer. I am currently an analyst (so a lot of quanitifying and analytic functions in my job).

I can get good recommendations - one from a high rank and one from a middle rank.

I don't have any volunteer work. The only thing that comes close to community work is that I sponsor two kids from South America from World Vision - I don't know if that's worth mentioning???

I am doing my GMAT on Oct. 27 and am hoping to do well (probably around 700 because I'm working really hard on it) ... and also hoping that my essays will turn out strong ... still working on them.

What schools should I apply to? I would love to give NYU Stern a shot, but I think my chances are like 0.01% ... if that!

I was also thinking of taking advantage of the Veritas Consultants through one of the packages available on your website. Pls. advice.

Thank you. :)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:45 pm
Hi J,
Thanks for your post. Unfortunately the low GPA is going to be a significant red-flag for most top MBA programs. A high GMAT score will help, but in my honest opinion, I dont know if that alone will help you offset a <2.5 GPA. Have you consider programs in the 25-50 range? There are many solid 'Tier-Two' programs that could be a good fit for your background and interests.

Also, you may consider taking a few post-grad classes (including Stats, Calculus, Acct). Scoring high in these classes (in addition to a high GMAT) can help prove to AdCom you have the ability to handle the academic rigor of the program.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jas1984 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:41 am
Thanks Nikhil!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:59 pm
Happy to help. Let us know if you have any other questions about the process.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep