Please suggest which colleges to realistically target!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
My name is Sailesh Krishnan. Please suggest which colleges I have a good chance of getting in. My ambition is to do an MBA from the top 30 colleges only, so if you feel that this profile will not fit the bill in any top 30, please let me know. And also add any tips on what to do to get into those colleges.

Total Work Experience - 2 years (Best Employee of the year 2014)
College - 9.71 out of 10 (College topper and university 4th rank holder - SRM University Chennai)
12th - 84.8% (CBSE)
10th - 87% (CBSE)
Played Cricket for West Bengal district (No certificate to prove)
Played Table Tennis for university (No certificate to prove)

Note that I have given the GMAT once and my score was 640. Plan to give again, though not sure how much I will get.

A few things apart from this
Integral part of the team (Corporate Head) from our SRM University, which got selected for SAE, SUPRA-2012, an automobile design and racing event held at Buddh International Circuit, India

Thanks in Advance!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 pm
Dear Sailesh,

Consider the following points:
  1. The information here is pretty sketchy to really understand your profile. You have provided no detail of the nature of your work for instance. It is not just the years that matter isn't it? In general, you have a year or two less experience than desirable for the top schools, but this can really swing either ways depending on the quality of your experience(s).
  2. The GMAT score is obviously not in conformity with your good undergrad performance. If you didn't try it, go for professional coaching/help there.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, I will refrain from providing gut-based school assessments - more so since the information here is pretty inadequate. So feel free to put a follow on here.
  4. Your ECs are all in the past. While they are not bad, but without continuity, their relevance and leverage diminish significantly over time. Perhaps an area to consider should you decide to not look at MBA this year. If you are thinking on those lines, you will find our profile builder package explained here to be of relevance.
Hope this helps,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com