Please suggest the best suitable schools for me

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi all Consultants and Friends,

Please suggest me the schools that i can apply for.

I took GMAT twice.

For first attempt I forgot passport and hell lot of things happened and then i took the test and got unexpected score of 590 (Q48,V23).

For second attempt i was well prepared but was suffering with fever and again got unexpected score 600 (Q47, V26)

Now i have decided to put the things past, and move on with application process. Can you all please suggest me the best schools for me irrespective of countries. Below is my profile:

GMAT: 600 (Q47 V26)
GPA: 3.6 in degree( B. E in E&TC from reputed state college)
Was state topper in Diploma in E&TC
Work Experience: 2+years in amdocs and 3+ years while joining
Had several site visits at clients for scoping of project and production support.
Work for an NGO supporting Green GO!
Work for our company Community Service Relations
Organise project and corporate events for the MNCs on weekends
Organised and participated in several national level events by our college.

Please suggest some good schools both 1 and 2 year ones

Thanks is n Advance

by crackittnow » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:34 am
1. Is it really possible that i can retake the GMAT and apply for fall 2011.?
(I always had better scores in practice tests(670 - 730) for both attempts than in actual test(590, 600))

2. Are there any good schools that provide admissions in Spring and that i can target for spring 2011 after my third attempt if i take.?

3. Which are the American/European/Asian Schools that i can apply for fall 2011 with my present score and work experience of 3 years?

Right now i chose:

1. Case Western Reserve
2. Imperial School of Business
3. City University:Cass Businesss school.
4. Pace University:Lubin School of business.
5. Leeds Business School.

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 am
Before you retake the GMAT ask yourself whether you can identify concepts that are lowering your score and try to correct them. Ask yourself whether the problems surrounding the actual test affected your score or whether you generally have stress issues with standardized tests. If the latter, you need to address stress management before retaking.

It is certainly possible to retake the test and meet January application deadlines if you have significant time to devote to essays over the next 6-8 weeks. Most schools have January or February deadlines and some even have MArch-April rounds.

On your current list, Case, Pace and Leeds are well within the range of your scores so far. Imperial has a 600 minimum, which could be a problem. You will be part of a large and very competitive applicant pool so will need to work hard to convince the admissions committee that your background would make you a solid addition to the class. With a borderline GMAT all the other elements of your application will need to sparkle. You should consider using an experienced admissions consultant.

There are very few schools that offer spring admission, but I believe some of the California schools do offer spring starts. You need to check with specific school websites. NYU has a spring start, but that would require a much stronger GMAT performance.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

by crackittnow » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 pm
Hi Tani many thanks!!! for ur expert advice. I would like to add more

1. Yes, i feel its stress issue somehow related to computer adaptive exams, and that is why i am little disinclined towards retaking within 1-1.5 month span of time.

2. Yes, i now my weaker areas RC and somehow CR worsened by my second attempt.

3. Well, which are the schools that have good chances for admission in january deadline?. If i increase my score, lets say by 80-100 points or so, then what would be the schools then.

4. Yes, i am looking for experienced admission consultants for my help me out.

5. What about the Cass Business School from City University, what is its minimum or averge score for admit and what are the chances that stand for me.

Again a Million Thanks for ur reply and waiting for u the next reply

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:02 am
Recognizing that you have stress issues is the first step in conquering them. You need to be aware of the physical signs of stress - tight shoulder and neck muscles, gritting teeth, shallow breathing. Once you notice those simply changing the physical signs will ease the stress. When your muscles tense, you don't get as much oxygen and you need oxygen to think clearly. Roll your shoulders, tighten and release the tense muscles. Look away from the screen for ten seconds and concentrate on a calming image - all of these can help.

Knowing which areas are weak is not enough. You need to keep an error log that tells you exactly why you missed a question. Did you fail to recognize the conclusion? Did you misinterpret the questions? Did you miss a "NOT" or "EXCEPT" in the answer stem? Once you find a mistake that you are making repeatedly you can correct it. By correcting a concept you correct several questions. Remember, none of the questions you see in all your practice will be on your actual test so questions aren't important, concepts are.

With an extra 80 points you would be in range of most of the European schools. (Their overall scores are somewhat lower, presumably because a higher percentage of their applicants speak English as a second language so the verbal scores are down somewhat.) However, the European schools are often looking for more experience. Cass (average score 640)and Cranfield (average660), for example, show average work experience of eight years. You will have to look school by school to see where your combination of scores and experience seems to meet their class profile.

Kaplan offers outstanding admissions consultants.
https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Business-Sc ... vices.html
You can see Kaplan's consultants and check out their backgrounds on the site and then choose the one that meets your needs.

A great resource for information on non-US schools is topmba.com.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

by crackittnow » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:14 am
Thanks a Lot Tani for the valuable tips and information.

Last but not the least query before i decide on retaking GMAT or applying for universities. Are there any chances for me to admit in one of these. Should i consider applying to one of these:

1. Robert Smith.
2. Rotman Business School.
3. Mccombs
4. Boston University.

If yes, how can i do that? do expert admission counselling from kaplan or any other service can help me in this positively.

Or are there any other US universities better than case and pace that i can choose for application.

Many thanks

by crackittnow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:58 am
Hi there friends,

Can anyone suggest me if i should apply for the above universities, considering my chances there.

Thanks..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by rajasekharp » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 pm
Hi

i have started my prep for gmat now and i am planning to give my exam in jan , my plan is to get into a good school in spring , which sounds very funny.

coming to your question , i am not aware of the remaining colleges except Rotman.
Rotman is in Toronto where is stay , i have been her to talk to students , and they say its very good school for finance major and it costs you high (as per my knowledge you will not get much scholarships), besides you need to have strong essays,background to get in with 600 score here.

Hope this is useful. i am preparing my list of colleges for which i can apply for, if i give my exam in January. may be you can share the colleges you apply for so that , they may be useful for me.

Thanks
Raja

by crackittnow » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:46 am
Thanks.. Rajesh

I have applied to following colleges (being realist except for ISB) with same score of 600:

1. Boston Uiversity - School Of mangement
2. Case Western -weatherhead.
3. University Of San Diego
4. SMU
5 ISB - In search of water in desserts :(

Well, the hot Question here is, i have week time left for Rotman MBA and i have almost all my essays ready, so should i give a shot by applying to Rotman MBA in Round 2. All dear experts (Tani) and my friends just answer me whether i should apply the Rotman MBA for Round 2 or not. All, I really need your help and timely reply.

Thanks...

by SoCalMBA » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 pm
a couple others maybe....

if you like SMU....
U-Texas has a program in Dallas
And there is UT-Dallas as well

if you like Case....
Pitt Katz SOB

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 am
hey people,

small query, i read rotman has a fee 66k's, which is a lot, do we get placements to ensure this gets covered in a few yrs ?

my profile :

engineer
3 yrs work ex(sap consultant now a mini entrepreneur)
650(47/33)

where do i start ? i have a very busy schedule, somehow managed gmat, now stuck with apps, should i hire a consultant ?
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 am
bblast wrote:hey people,

small query, i read rotman has a fee 66k's, which is a lot, do we get placements to ensure this gets covered in a few yrs ?

my profile :

engineer
650(47/33)

where do i start ? i have a very busy schedule, somehow managed gmat, now stuck with apps, should i hire a consultant ?
I think you should hire a consultant rather than wasting any more time
they will help you with editing essays and even your resume
Consultants will also guide you on scholarships

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 am
prachich1987 wrote:
bblast wrote:hey people,

my profile :

engineer
650(47/33)

I think you should hire a consultant rather than wasting any more time
they will help you with editing essays and even your resume
Consultants will also guide you on scholarships
yeah, even i believe the same, i've told a frnd in Calcutta to get a consultant to call me tomorrow. If you have any consultants in ur eyes please send me a PM, u knw my town is a bit outta place for GMAT stuff :/. we are running outta time
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

by crackittnow » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 am
Many Thanks Bro(SoCallMBA) for your suggesstions, i will see if i can apply to these schools in current application round. But what is your say on applying to Rotman MBA, is it a wise choice considering I am an Indian IT male with GMAT of 600, and last year rotman's class profile had GMAT ranged from 550 -780, with mean of 660.
Though I am an Indian IT male, i do have good extra cirricular and background as said in above posts.
So, All Friends and experts please advise for my decision to apply for Rotman MBA

Thanks..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mctm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm
To make your self with international standard and expose your knowledge globally better find a international school of education. Even some IB Schools encourage students for extracurricular activities along with there studies can have education along with studies and even IB School encourage students to choose the best subjects based on there performance and global trends. Analyze the school and find your best for your education