Please suggest suitable schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please suggest suitable schools

by varuna_vv » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 am
complete Bachelors in engg (GPA 3.5 )
1 yr internship with siemens during graduation
2 yrs full time work ex with Oracle . (Typical IT)

ec : 1 yr work with a small microfinance firm which helped families below poverty lines and vocational training given for housewives to help them earn a daily living.

I have also helped in family business (gold/diamond jewelers) in operations/marketing/business development. But I do not have any formal proof per say. I have this 10 month experience right after graduation and before I got recruited with Oracle. I am a bit skeptical as to how I can prove/show this experience as I was not getting paid. Is it of any value in the first place?

GMAT: plan to take by sept last week '12.
aiming for 650-700.

I am interested in specializing in marketing and enter IT pre sale/business dev in the future.

-Please suggest schools (preferably South East Asia) which will accept such a mediocre profile with 2 yrs work ex.
Please suggest on what bases the South east asian schools consider/covert the indian universities scores to a gpa?

-which tier 2 mba schools in the US will accept my profile?

-If its a long call , then please suggest ways to improve my profile so that I can apply for '14.

Thanks in advance

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:34 am
varuna_vv wrote:age : 25
complete Bachelors in engg (GPA 3.5 )
1 yr internship with siemens during graduation
2 yrs full time work ex with Oracle . (Typical IT)

ec : 1 yr work with a small microfinance firm which helped families below poverty lines and vocational training given for housewives to help them earn a daily living.

I have also helped in family business (gold/diamond jewelers) in operations/marketing/business development. But I do not have any formal proof per say. I have this 10 month experience right after graduation and before I got recruited with Oracle. I am a bit skeptical as to how I can prove/show this experience as I was not getting paid. Is it of any value in the first place?

GMAT: plan to take by sept last week '12.
aiming for 650-700.

I am interested in specializing in marketing and enter IT pre sale/business dev in the future.

-Please suggest schools (preferably South East Asia) which will accept such a mediocre profile with 2 yrs work ex.
Please suggest on what bases the South east asian schools consider/covert the indian universities scores to a gpa?

-which tier 2 mba schools in the US will accept my profile?

-If its a long call , then please suggest ways to improve my profile so that I can apply for '14.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

Firstly 2 years of IT experience makes the candidature weak. And 650 - 700 in a range in which 650 can make it almost impossible to get through any good B school and 700 will still be average.

We recommend that you wait for 1 more year and do the following

1) Give more time to GMAT prep and target a 720+ or so.
2) Focus more on your microfinance thing so that you can talk about that in detail in the app rather than just mentioning it. It there are any projects which you get in this domain go for them.
3) A role change so that you add an year of may be presales or business analysis experience will help
4) Try to ponder upon your extra currics and work on one of two of them in next 1 year.

PS: NUS and NTU have rolling admissions. They open up in October and applying in October really helps.

Hope this helps.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:06 am
With your experience and target GMAT score, you may like to consider Asian School of management, McCombs etc.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis