This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please review profile

by Jayanthsp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:32 am
Hi,

Kindly review my profile:

Indian male, 28 yrs
GRE- 328 (Q165 V163)
Undergrad- B.E in Information Science from M.S.Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore, India with 80% and distinction (no gpa)
Postgrad- MBA from Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad, India with 7.44/10 GPA
Certified Financial Risk Manager
WE- 2 years in software development at Infosys, 3 years in Data analytics at HSBC and Citibank, India
Extra-curriculars- Professional soccer for 7+ years and 2+ years in volunteering for NGO, 1yr as part-time faculty
Student president of International Relations Committee at postgrad institute

Post-MBA goals: To get into leadership/rotational development programs at an international bank.

I had applied to Kellogg and Cornell 1Y MBA in R2'2016, got rejects from both. Kindly let me know what is lacking and how best I can strengthen my profile. Which schools should I be targeting?

Regards,
Jayanth

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:28 am
Can you get feedback from the schools on your application ? Make sure to apply in R1, you are part of a ridiculously competitive profile. Make sure also to explain why you are seeking a second MBA. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:14 am
Hi Jayanth!

I'm new to BTG but not to MBA Admissions- and I saw you had a question about your profile. I will add to what was said previously in that yes, you are in a crazy competitive pool and yes, you should always be targeting Round 1. But then I wanted to give you a bit more insight that might help you this year:

Yes- your GRE is great- but if you can do this well on GRE you might want to go ahead and do the GMAT as if you can get a top score, the GMAT top score will open the crack in the door a little wider.

So I'm going to be brutally honest with you because you need a new strategy if you are going to be successful in this. Nothing in the profile you listed below stands out. And that's not to say that there isn't some magic in you- there is! But you are going to have to work harder to make sure that special sauce that only you have comes out in a compelling and human way to adcom. I would suggest you broaden your school search a bit more and look at the top 10-20 programs and even into 25. You can get to your post MBA career goal from those top 25 programs and you may get more traction. I also think if you work with an admissions consultant-- as most of your competitors are doing-- you will get help on how to best position yourself and also to help you dig out that "secret sauce" that is only in you. We do a series of exercises with clients to get their most compelling theme out there and we help them break through this competitive landscape. As you can see, it is not just test scores- you need experts to guide you! Please contact us at StratusPrep.com for a profile review and learn more about how we can help you position yourself for success in this upcoming application rounds. I truly do wish you all the best!