PLEASE REVIEW MY GMAT AWA ESSAY. WOULD BE A GREAT HELP

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, please review my AWA GMAT essay. It is my first try and my GMAT exam is in 3 weeks. Would be a lot of help if an expert can do it.

The following was used as part of an internet advertising company's appeal to businesses:"Furniture Depot employed our internet advertising company to help. Since then its sales increased by 10% over last year's totals. Furniture Depot's success demonstrates how using our internet services can increase your profitability."

Describe how well reasoned you find this argument. In the discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the argument's conclusion. You may also address possible changes in the argument that would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

The argument states that Furniture Depot used the advertising company's services and hence, was able to increases its sales and profitability. Stated in this way the argument fails to mention several key factors which can be used to evaluate the argument. Due to the absence of such factors, the argument is weak, unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument argument assumes that the use of the internet company's services has led to the increase in sales of Furniture Depot. The argument fails to give concrete evidence that use of such services was the sole reason for the company's improvement in performance. For example, high prices offered by the Furniture Depot's competitor might have led to higher sales or higher discounts by the company could have been a major factor in contributiing to the increased sales or a favourable change in the external environment might have been the cause of increased sales.

Second, the argument claims that using the advertising company's services led to higher profitability. However, the argument fails to mention the cost of employing such service. The argument states that the sales were increased by 10% while the profitability was also increased. However, without mentioning the cost of the acquired services the argument fails to tell the margin that the company ultimately earned. For instance, the company might have increased sales by 10% but the profits only increased by 1%. Therefore, the argument's effectiveness comes into questioned.

Finally, the argument is an appeal by the internet company to prospective clients for further business. However, the argument fails to clarify the kind of services provided by the advertising company. Hence, the prospective clients do not get a holistic picture of the advertising company's services, which casts a serious doubt on the effectiveness of the argument. The argument could have been strengthened by mentioning a brief outline of the kinds of strategies used by the advertising company to increase sales.

In conclusion, the argument is flawed because of the aforementioned reasons. The argument could have been strengthened if it mentioned all the relevant facts. A situation where a decision needs to be taken should be evaluated according to all its contributing factors. Without these factors, the argument is unsubstantiated and open to debate.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:24 am
Hello tushar_diwan,

You've made a good start with your AWA prep. I hope that these comments help you improve.

Writing: There are a few careless errors that you could avoid if you reread your work before submitting a response. Try to leave a few minutes at the end of the allotted time to catch mistakes. In both your intro and conclusion, the writing sounds like it's from an essay template. It is all right to start from a template, but you need to adjust the wording so it fits the essay prompt.

Structure: Good job starting out with a five paragraph essay! Your intro and conclusion could use some work, because they don't contain enough detail to feel unique to this essay. Otherwise, the body paragraphs each provided different problems with the argument and set out your ideas properly.

Arguments/Examples: You found several different problems with the author's argument, and you addressed multiple parts of the argument. I liked the examples you gave of possible problems with the author's reasoning.

Suggestions for Improvement: Work on your intro/conclusion so they sound unique and contain details from the prompt. Try to save a few minutes to catch careless errors in your writing.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Best,
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

by tushar_diwan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 am
Thanks, Katherine. Your advice is appreciated.

This is my other essay from a Kaplan practise test. Could you review it? Also, could you let me know an appropriate word limit for my essay?

"With an increasing demand for highly skilled workers, this nation will soon face a serious labor shortage. New positions in technical and professional occupations are increasing rapidly, while at the same time the total labor force is growing slowly. Moreover, the government is proposing to cut funds for aid to education in the near future."

The argument states that the nation will soon face a labour shortage of highly skilled workers because of slow growth rate of labour force and proposed government cutback in aid to education in the near future. Stated in this way, the argument may have some merit however, it fails to mention key contributing factors which will be helpful to evaluate the argument. The argument is based on assumption for which no conclusive proof is given. Therefore, the argument is weak, unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument states that new positions in technical and professional occupations are increasing rapidly while the labour force is growing slowly. However, this statement is a stretch because the author assumes that the existing size of labour force and demand for jobs is equal. The author, illogicaly, uses only the rate of increase of the two measures to arrive at the conclusion that there will be a shortage of labour in the future. To illustrate, the current labourforce may not be fully employed or the current labour force is already larger than the demand for skilled jobs. Therefore, the slower rate of increase in labour force may still be greater than the rate of increase in new skilled-jobs created. Moreover, the argument fails to mention the amount of increase in the two units. The argument could have been strengthened if it had mentioned the current employment rate of the nation and backed his statement with specific numbers.

Second, the argument fails to take into account external factors that may not create a shortage of labour in the future. For example, the author fails to mention migration as a source of labour in his argument. In the modern world, people are free to move to different countries with relative ease. Therefore, migration has become an important source of labour. The economy of the United States of America attracts labour in huge numbers every year. The number is so large that the government of USA is taking steps to control the entry of migrants to its economy. The argument could have been strengthened if it had mentioned such factors and their impact on the conclusion.

Finally, the argument states that the government is proposing cutback of aid to education in the near future however, it fails to mention the cost of education in the nation. For instance, the cost of education in the country might be declining which could be because of a number of factors such as new colleges, higher enrolment etc. Thus, the cutback of aid may not have the predicted effects on the labour market.

In sum, the argument is weak because it lacks several relevant factors. Moreover, the argument is based on assumptions with no conclusive proofs. The argument could have been strengthened if it had mentioned all the relevant information stated above. Without this information, the argument is unsubstantiated and open to debate.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:02 pm
Hello tushar_diwan,

There's no specific word limit for the response, but aiming for five developed paragraphs is a good goal. I hope that helps.

After your previous essay, I recommended working on your intro and conclusion so they seem more original and less like a template. I can see that you've developed your intro in this response.

Writing: Make sure your long sentences don't become run-ons with punctuation errors. Your second sentence ("Stated in this way, the argument may have some merit however, it fails to mention key contributing factors...") should be written "Stated in this way, the argument may have some merit. However, it fails to mention key contributing factors..." The same error appears in your third body paragraph. You say "labourforce" and "labour force," but it's better to be consistent and pick one term; "labor force" is most common in the USA.

Structure: I can tell that you've put time into your intro, but the conclusion still has no distinctive information. Try to include at least a few details from the prompt, because your conclusion right now is generic.

Arguments/Examples: You found a wide selection of flaws in the author's reasoning, and you addressed each part of the prompt.

Suggestions for Improvement: You've made progress with the intro, but your conclusion still needs work. This essay would score a little higher than your previous one, but the writing errors and generic conclusion keep it from getting top marks.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Best,
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA

by tushar_diwan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 am
Thank you. I'll keep the things in mind.
On the scale 1-6, can you give me an idea how much this essay will score?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:08 am
I'd put this in the 4-5 range. Points were lost for the reasons mentioned in my essay comments. You've got a good base to work from, but you need a little more practice before you get top marks.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA