Please Review my Essay!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Review my Essay!

by lunfry » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:45 am
Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. Please review my essay! Feel free to let me know if you think I should adjust my template. I'm short on time with my gmat prep so did not have enough time to work on the exact template.

Also, do we guys get the Integrated Reasoning and AWA score on the same day as Verbal and Quant on the test date?

Here's the essay ...

The following appeared in a memorandum from the business department of the Apogee Company:

"When the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore, the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of all employees."

Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

In the following argument, the author states that Apogee should close down its field offices and conduct all of its operations from a centralized location. The argument can be strengthened but given the assumptions and lack of actual data, the argument has many flaws and is unconvincing for the most part.

First of all, the author believes that by closing down all of the field offices, Apogee would start making profits as it used to do in the past. The main flaw with this assumption is that there is no statistical data to back the assumption. We are unable to make an assumption about the exact profitability of the company. In order to make a logical assumption, the author should have provided us with some statistical data so one could compare the exact figures and facts in order to come to a logical decision.

Secondly, the author believes that by centralizing the organization, the company would be able to reduce costs and maintain better supervision of all employees. In drawing this conclusion, the author fails to take account into the fact that by centralizing the organization, the company would be taking the autonomy from the junior managers or field offices - by doing so, it would hurt the morale of the management at the field offices. There are numerous examples where we have seen that the organizations have done better by decentralizing the organization.

As it stands, the argument is flawed for the reasons indicated but the argument can be strengthened if we are provided with additional information to understand the exact decline in profits.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:26 am
Hello lunfry,

I'll comment on your essay later this afternoon. On the test day, you'll get an unofficial score report as soon as you finish the exam. This report includes scores for the Verbal, Quantitative, and Integrated Reasoning sections, along with the unofficial total score. After 2-3 weeks, you'll have access to your official score report, which includes the AWA grade. Note that the AWA grade does NOT count toward the total score.

I hope this helps!
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 am
Hello lunfry,

After reading your earlier essay, I recommended using at least two strong examples and writing a conclusion that felt specific to the prompt, instead of seeming generic. You've done better with the examples in this response.

Writing: Sometimes you'll use both we/us and "one" in the same sentence: "should have provided us...so one could compare" is a good example. Stick to one or we/us, but not both in the same sentence. I didn't find major writing errors. You don't need "for the most part" in your intro. There's more force if you say "the argument has many flaws and is unconvincing."

Structure: Great job with the intro. You quickly summarized the author's argument and stated that it was flawed. Your two body paragraphs had different examples, which is an improvement from the last post. The conclusion still needs work. It's even shorter than the one in your last response (one sentence instead of two), and it still feels completely generic. You need some key words that tie it back to the prompt. Even something as simple as "the argument that the Apogee Company can cut costs is flawed" instead of "the argument is flawed" will help improve the conclusion.

Arguments/Examples: Both your examples were reasonable and well-supposed. I wish you'd shared a specific example in the second body paragraph instead of saying "there are numerous examples," but it's a minor point.

Suggestions for Improvement: Your examples are much better in this response. I still think that you need to improve your conclusion. Try to have one sentence that restates your main point ("the argument that the Apogee Company will cut costs is flawed because..."), and then another sentence emphasizing the main problems ("The author's argument fails to provide statistical evidence for this claim..."). If you have time, a third sentence to wrap up the essay would be good. I'd bump up this essay to the 4-4.5 range. Points were lost for the conclusion.

As for your concerns about lacking time to do an essay template, I don't think that you should worry. The intro and body paragraphs of this response were strong, and only the conclusion needs work. If you really want to build a template, think of the bigger picture first: a clear intro that summarizes the argument, two or three paragraphs with main flaws/examples to strengthen the argument, and a two/three sentence conclusion that reminds the grader of your thesis. You can see a more detailed example in one of our free videos here: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ent?id=771 I'd recommend doing one more response if you have time, and then moving on to other areas of the exam. Once you can write a solid conclusion, I think you'll be in great shape.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying