Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Please rate this argument for me - thanks in advance

This topic has 1 member reply
netigen GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
Posted:
631 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Please rate this argument for me - thanks in advance Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:05 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Here is an argument in favor of three r's - My first attempt at writing a AWA

Some people long for the "good old days" when high school emphasized the "three r's" of "reading, writing, arithmetic." They maintain that school curriculum of today are watered down versions of sounder ones and therefore less effective. Other people defend the curriculum of today's schools pointing out that students must be exposed to a greater variety of material and to material that is more complex.

Which position do you find more compelling? Explain your position using reasons and/or examples drawn from your personal experience, observations, or readings.

The issue of determining the correct school curriculum has always been at the center of controversy. Many people believe that the three r's of "reading, writing, arithmetic" is the best approach while others contend that a more complex and updated curriculum is the need of the day. After consideration, I will argue that the three r's is the better approach.

The main reason for my view is the importance of three r's in our life. For e.g. we use basic arithmetic in everyday life while making a payment at the counter or balancing our bank account. We use basic reading writing skill on a regular basis for e.g. when reading a newspaper or filling college applications. Without this basic knowledge and skills a person can not be successful in life. Schools shape the early parts of our life and hence they should focus on imparting knowledge based on three r's which together are considered the building blocks of human knowledge.

Another reason for my belief is the current state of the quality of education that is imparted. It is a known fact that it has become progressively difficult for the schools to find good quality teachers. One reason for this is much enhanced and extensive curriculum that the teachers have to teach nowadays. Additionally, teachers are finding it difficult to keep pace with the ever changing curriculum and hence the quality of teaching suffers. A simpler curriculum that focuses on the three r's will help maintain the focus of the teachers as well as the students and will also help in maintaining high level of quality.

Furthermore, we seem to expect too much from the students nowadays. When students are not able to cope with the demanding curriculum they loose interest in education and it becomes a burden. Interest thus lost is not easily regained and it affects the performance as well as the morale of the students.

On the other hand some people will refute these views by suggesting that world is progressing at a fast pace and hence we need to teach our students much more that what was taught in the past, so that they can compete in the market and be successful but I disagree since students without sound base built on three r's can not succeed at the college level and hence will loose out to their peers in the longer run.

I have argued that we should stick with the three r's for the school curriculum. This view will become increasingly dominant in the near future given the rising expectations from the new generation. Many of these issues can never be resolved to everyones satisfaction but in the long run, sticking with the three r's will be beneficial for all concerned. Finally, I see this as one step towards saving our next generation which is not able to cope up with the social pressures and expectations.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    VP_Jim GMAT Instructor Default Avatar
    Posted:
    1223 messages
    Followed by:
    10 members
    Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:49 pm
    Good job on this one, too. Pretty much the same comments as I gave you on the other essay: make your examples more specific/real world, rather than hypothetical. Also, avoid saying "I", "me", or "my". I'll give this one a 4, too.

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 81 topics
    2 abhasjha 28 topics
    3 aditya8062 25 topics
    4 RiyaR 19 topics
    5 tanvis1120 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

156 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow