Please rate my essay (my first Analysis ofissue essay)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
The topic is
"In some countries, television and radio programmes are carefully censored for offensive behaviour and language. In some other countries, there is little or no censorship." In your views, to what extent should government or any other group be able to censor radio or televison programs. ?
My essay is as under:

In some countries, the television and radio programs are censored while in some countries there is no censorship. I feel that there should be censorship on TV and radio programs for offensive language and behaviour and it should be regulated by an independent agency like CENSOR BOARD which does not gets influenced by or comes under pressure of govt or any other such institution.

In democracy, everybody has the freedom of speech and expression. But this does not means that this freedom may encroach the boundaries of the privacy of some others. There are many sensitive issues like religion or traditions which a group believes to be true and hence follows. If programmes broadcast on TV or radio are hurting the feelings of one group or creating a sense of unrest then it can lead to riots and severe law and order situations. An example of the same can be a jingoist speech given by hardcore Islamic leader led to riots in the Kashmir valley and on the same line similar communal speeches given by Hindu leaders on TV led to the demolition of Babri Mosque in 1992.

Secondly, there is always a vast majority of gullible audience who can be affected by these programs. The young minds of children will be shaped by what they view in television. An uneducated group of villagers may mistake the program broadcast on TV or radio for facts, although in reality there can be several dimensions to it.

However, a counter argument is that everybody should be given the freedom of expression and speech and censorship on the same may hinder creativity. For example an artist in India painted a nude picture of a Hindu Goddess as a creative expression and displayed the same through a TV show. This sensitized the masses and there was public unrest against him and his paintings. So, there should be a limit to the freedom. Television and radio are just the medium and anybody can use it.

Summing up, I would like to point that there should be censorship on TV and radio programs which should be monitored by an independent agency because we live in a democratic society and freedom of one person should not affect the sentiments of others.
let me give the power of perseverance.............