Please help: need a good GMAT strategy

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please help: need a good GMAT strategy

by SamWasi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:31 pm
Hey guys,

I want to apply at Rotterdam School of Management (in The Netherlands) next year, they require a minimum GMAT score of 600 but i am aiming for 650. This will be a very difficult task considering my educational background. Long story short; I have started school from the 7th grade, did community college after high school, with english being my 4th/5th language. Currently i am studying BBA, and i will be doing my Internship at an accounting firm in New York City.

I want to take the GMAT test around March next year (submission deadline is may), so i have roughly 7 months to study for the GMAT, however due to my current study, job and upcoming internship, i can study about 10 hours a week for the GMAT (approx. 280 hours in total). I have the Manhattan Guides and the OG 13th Edition as my study material.

Could you please provide me a good preparation strategy?

Points of remark;
1. My algebra is a bit rusty, I have difficulty with stuff such as quadratic equations and inequalities.
2. I did the diagnostic test for verbal, and my score fell in the average section. So verbal needs also a lot of studying, i am planning to read some books (starting of with Shogun- James Clavell) but i have no clue how to be prepared for the GMAT

Thank you in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm
You might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide). Over 25,000 Beat The GMAT students have already done so.
Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

NOTE: To complete the program in 60 days, you'd need to spend 2-4 hours per day preparing. Since you have 7 months, you can spend 2 or 3 days working on one day's learning activities .

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by SamWasi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 pm
Thank you Brent, i will try that.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 pm
Hi SamWasi,

You have given yourself plenty of lead-time to study, which is good planning.

The Diagnostic Tests in the OG13 are not a great way to measure your real GMAT ability, although they are a source for great practice questions. If you have not taken one yet, then you should take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT exam to get a real sense of your strengths and weaknesses. (you can download 2 for FREE from www.mba.com). It will be a challenging practice Test, but that's okay - do your best, then report back with your scores.

Your Score goal is reasonable, but it still helps to have a specific study plan in place to help you along. Once we know your scores, it will be easier to help you put together a plan that matches your abilities.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Chantal_RSM » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 am
Hi SamWasi

Great to hear you are looking into applying for the RSM MBA programme.

I wanted to share this article with you, where we give various tips & tricks for preparing for the GMAT https://www.rsm.nl/mba/international-ful ... tips/gmat/

Also, tomorrow, 29 July, we happen to host a webinar about GMAT Tips & Tricks, you can sign-up for that via www.careernomics.com/rsm

I hope this will help you preparing for the GMAT!

Best regards,
Chantal Dammann
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University