Please Guide me ASAP.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Guide me ASAP.

by 93.santosh » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:43 pm
Hi,
I have written 5 manhattan tests till now and last on shows excellent improvement: from 610 to 730. But then I deceded to cross check it with Kaplan. I got disappointed as I could score only 590. But I found there Questions are not stcking to standard rules which manhattan follows.

I am targetting to touch 750.

I have to write my GMAT on 25th Jan.
Kindly suggest what my strategy should be.
Right now, I am planning to finsh the 6th test soon and then start practicing same tests with 2 min./Q criteria...

Kindly comment.

Santosh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:03 pm
I haven't used Kaplan's materials myself, so I can't really comment on your results on their test - perhaps others in the community have and can contribute. We've found our tests to be fairly representative for the most part, although there are always some people who have very different scores (higher and lower) on the real test.

Given your score improvement, you seem like you've been doing the right things already! Your best improvement, especially at the highest levels, will come from analyzing the practice questions after you do them - what was the basic principle being tested? What words in the problem allowed me to recognize that? How will I recognize another problem in the future that's trying to test the same principle? Did I do this problem in the best way? If not, how will I do it again next time? Why are the wrong answers wrong? What are the traps built into the question? Etc.

Make sure you're doing lots of thoughtful analysis about every question you do - don't just do lots of questions without this analysis or it will be very hard to continue to improve.

Also, FYI, after you finish your 6th test, you will continue to get new tests but you may start to see some questions you've already seen. The "6 tests" thing just means that you are guaranteed not to get any repeated questions during the first 6 tests.

Good luck! :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me