Please evaluate the profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate the profile

by Ashish Garg » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:17 am
Hi Stacy,
I want to apply for Jan '08 admissions and planning to take GMAT in Feb '07. By Dec'07, I will be having a full time work ex of two years in a big IT-firm. Though the work ex will not be kind of managerial but I will have work ex of working in a team of 10-15.
I am a engineering major in Electronics and Communication having 65.7% and my class mates scored some 85-88%.
I am confident enough of scoring 700+ in GMAT.
I have read many of the posts on this website and have seen a pattern or better say developed a kind of view that if your work ex is not great then you can compensate it with your High GMAT score and vice versa.
Is it true?
And will the Ad coms count my work ex till the date I will be working before joining the MBA class or till the date I applied for Admission or is it something else?
Is it too early for me to apply?

Thanks and Regards
Ashish

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:45 am
I don't agree that a high GMAT compensates for poor work experience. This is a holistic process and to be admitted to a top school, you need to show excellence in all areas. GMAT and work experience are so different that one would not really compensate for another in the way that a high GMAT can help, to some degree, with a low GPA.

The adcomms will look at the work experience before entering, so the time that you work after submitting your app, but before starting will be factored in - it sounds like you will have 2 full years? 2 years is below average but it certainly does not have to hurt your chances of admittance if you demonstrate maturity, career focus and excellence on the job. I am not clear on why you feel your work experience is weak. Many applicants do not have formal managerial exerience but are able to speak to excellence in a team setting, cross functional teams or informal leadership. If you and your recommenders canbuild a case along these lines, you may be okay! However, if you do feel that it is very weak, you may want to wait a year or two to bolster it.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me