Please evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by aim780 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:21 am
Hi,

I just appeared for GMAT and got 670(QA49 VA33).

Schools I am targeting:
Canada B-Schools(Rotman, Queen's, Schulich, Sauder, McGill)
NUS
Insead, Judge

Profile:
I have 6 years of work ex out of which 4.5 with Adobe but mostly on technical side.
My engineering college is among top 10 Engineering colleges in India.
Score in BE - 69%

Apart from that I do not have any substantial data to show in terms of NGO, Client interaction etc.

Could some please comment about my chances in above mentioned Schools?

If you can list some good schools for me then please do. I am mainly looking for a career in Product Management in big IT firms(Google, MS, Amazon, Adobe etc) after MBA.

Also, I am planning to give GMAT again within 2-3 weeks, hoping to cross 700. But I want to apply this year. So, If I don't get improved score I will apply with this one. Hence, I need inputs from experts.

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep1click » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 pm
Hi,
I think you have a shot at few of those schools - your GMAT score definitely needs improvement (probably another 50 points if you can). What you should also think about are things which demonstrate leadership, analytical skills, teamwork and probably most important is the reasons for an MBA - where do you want to be in 5 years time, what skills or knowledge do you need to get there, how many of those do you have and how would an MBA (directly and indirectly through alumni, network and post MBA career opportunity) supplement or complement that.
There are numerous ways of demonstrating your skills and it is my belief that all individuals can do that - it is a matter of looking at the right spot.
Maybe, you have led a team, turned a project around, helped in recruitment, worked across geographies and managed informally. All of these are important to your case. However, without a more decent GMAT score, you will struggle for scholarship.
Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Indradeep
Director, OneClickPrep
https://www.oneclickprep.com
+61424853384 (WhatsApp or call)
Study in Australia - https://www.oneclickprep.com/study-and-w ... australia/
Watch our videos and blogs in https://www.oneclickprep.com/admissions-prep/
Using post MBA corporate and consulting experience to bring real world value to MBA Admissions

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:29 am
Hi

Would like to know a few more details about your work experience - what have you been working on in the last 1.5 years? Also, what was your technical work around in the first 4.5 years? Any international experience to report?

Beyond that, you might like to consider a few points as you go about assessing your next steps:
1. While the Canadian schools are a possibility (can comment more on that after details of your work-ex), INSEAD, NUS, and Judge will be difficult. Your school selection needs to be more judicious and thought out, especially because the Canadian schools you mention (except for Rotman) aren't known for their strengths in product management either.
2. Chances of scholarships will be low with this score. You also need to consider what else you are bringing in to make a case for a scholarship apart from your work profile. Extra curricular achievements, community contribution, and of course GMAT scores will all play a role here.
3. While you will not be considered a typical IT applicant, you do need to show differentiation in your profile, as well as clear career goals.

You might also like to go through the following articles:
Improving your profile for MBA admissions
Retaking the GMAT: how to do better next time
Applying to an MBA program: Indian applicants
Indian IT Male MBA applicants

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:03 am
Thanks for sharing.

In addition to the advices above, in the absence of client interaction, it would be good to highlight collaboration across teams within your organization. Anecdotes showing your growth as a leader and team player can help show your interpersonal skills, and leadership potential. This would help show you as more than a technical expert.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:30 am
aim780 wrote:Hi,

Schools I am targeting:
NUS
Insead, Judge

Profile:
I have 6 years of work ex out of which 4.5 with Adobe but mostly on technical side.
Score in BE - 69%

Apart from that I do not have any substantial data to show in terms of NGO, Client interaction etc.

If you can list some good schools for me then please do. I am mainly looking for a career in Product Management in big IT firms(Google, MS, Amazon, Adobe etc) after MBA.

Also, I am planning to give GMAT again within 2-3 weeks, hoping to cross 700. But I want to apply this year. So, If I don't get improved score I will apply with this one. Hence, I need inputs from experts.

Thanks
Hi,

670 is decent score for Canadian schools. If you are confident to cross 710+ GMAT based on your preparation then I would suggest you to retake GMAT otherwise you can dedicate that time and effort to build quality application. From your target list except INSEAD other schools are realistic. You can also consider applying to Ivey in Canada. You can try our chances of B-school tool to predict your chances, visit https://goo.gl/mJ3AhGand connect with us for detailed discussion.

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Schools I am targeting:
NUS
Insead, Judge

Profile:
Score in BE - 69%

Thanks

Hi,

With 670 on GMAT and 6 yrs of experience, all schools shortlisted by you ( except for INSEAD) are achievable.
INSEAD is very competitive and focuses a lot on international experience. While you may have travelled to Adobe San Jose office for dev summit etc ( we have worked with many Adobe Noida candidates :) ) but INSEAD wont take that as international experience. Also, score will be a deterrent for INSEAD.

NUS, Judge, Rotman will be a little tough at 670 but can be cracked with good essays. If you can push your score to 700 your chances will be much better.

Product mgmt is the best and natural career progression for you. But neither Canadian schools nor NUS or Judge are best suited for that. For that you should target ISB, IIMB, IIMC and schools in US such as Tepper ( may be tough at 670), USC marshall, Georgetown Mcdonough etc. None of the top tech product companies recruit heavily from the schools you have mentioned.

Feel free to contact us for a discussion.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

by aim780 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:56 pm
Showmethemantra wrote:Hi,
I think you have a shot at few of those schools - your GMAT score definitely needs improvement (probably another 50 points if you can). What you should also think about are things which demonstrate leadership, analytical skills, teamwork and probably most important is the reasons for an MBA - where do you want to be in 5 years time, what skills or knowledge do you need to get there, how many of those do you have and how would an MBA (directly and indirectly through alumni, network and post MBA career opportunity) supplement or complement that.
There are numerous ways of demonstrating your skills and it is my belief that all individuals can do that - it is a matter of looking at the right spot.
Maybe, you have led a team, turned a project around, helped in recruitment, worked across geographies and managed informally. All of these are important to your case. However, without a more decent GMAT score, you will struggle for scholarship.
Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks Indy, your input will surely help me in preparing my application. Yes I think I need to improve my GMAT score.

by aim780 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:58 pm
GyanOne wrote:Hi

Would like to know a few more details about your work experience - what have you been working on in the last 1.5 years? Also, what was your technical work around in the first 4.5 years? Any international experience to report?

Beyond that, you might like to consider a few points as you go about assessing your next steps:
1. While the Canadian schools are a possibility (can comment more on that after details of your work-ex), INSEAD, NUS, and Judge will be difficult. Your school selection needs to be more judicious and thought out, especially because the Canadian schools you mention (except for Rotman) aren't known for their strengths in product management either.
2. Chances of scholarships will be low with this score. You also need to consider what else you are bringing in to make a case for a scholarship apart from your work profile. Extra curricular achievements, community contribution, and of course GMAT scores will all play a role here.
3. While you will not be considered a typical IT applicant, you do need to show differentiation in your profile, as well as clear career goals.

You might also like to go through the following articles:
Improving your profile for MBA admissions
Retaking the GMAT: how to do better next time
Applying to an MBA program: Indian applicants
Indian IT Male MBA applicants
Thanks GYANONE for your reply,

My whole work ex is in Software Testing. Starting 4.5 years was majorly learning and applying core testing technologies and delivering quality software. In Last 1.5 year I am also mentoring Fresh hires. More efforts are now for changing and optimizing processes. Managing software releases is also added to my job profiles. I do not think my International exposure, which is attending technical conferences and interacting with global teams, is relevant for B-Schools.
My school selection is based on data from LinkedIn alumni database of these schools. Though, this data is not much definitive but I couldn't find any data specific to Product Management. I do not think I can consider IT services data given in placement reports of B-Schools. Any input how could I filter Schools for Product management?

Please let me know if you need anything else. Where should I focus now?

Thanks,

by aim780 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:02 am
Edison@VeritasPrep wrote:Thanks for sharing.

In addition to the advices above, in the absence of client interaction, it would be good to highlight collaboration across teams within your organization. Anecdotes showing your growth as a leader and team player can help show your interpersonal skills, and leadership potential. This would help show you as more than a technical expert.

Wish you all the best!
Thanks a lot for reply.

by aim780 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 am
ammanish wrote:

Schools I am targeting:
NUS
Insead, Judge

Profile:
Score in BE - 69%

Thanks
Hi,

670 is decent score for Canadian schools. If you are confident to cross 710+ GMAT based on your preparation then I would suggest you to retake GMAT otherwise you can dedicate that time and effort to build quality application. From your target list except INSEAD other schools are realistic. You can also consider applying to Ivey in Canada. You can try our chances of B-school tool to predict your chances, visit https://goo.gl/mJ3AhGand connect with us for detailed discussion.

Regards
Manish
Thanks Manish for your input. I know I can cross 700 but beyond that I am not sure. Do you think Ivey B-Schools is good to land in big software MNCs such as Microsoft, Amazon, Apple etc as a Product Manager? I thought my listed B-Schools are good for PM but I am getting different feedback about them.

Thanks,
Rajesh

by aim780 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:29 am
apphelp wrote:

Schools I am targeting:
NUS
Insead, Judge

Profile:
Score in BE - 69%

Thanks

Hi,

With 670 on GMAT and 6 yrs of experience, all schools shortlisted by you ( except for INSEAD) are achievable.
INSEAD is very competitive and focuses a lot on international experience. While you may have travelled to Adobe San Jose office for dev summit etc ( we have worked with many Adobe Noida candidates :) ) but INSEAD wont take that as international experience. Also, score will be a deterrent for INSEAD.

NUS, Judge, Rotman will be a little tough at 670 but can be cracked with good essays. If you can push your score to 700 your chances will be much better.

Product mgmt is the best and natural career progression for you. But neither Canadian schools nor NUS or Judge are best suited for that. For that you should target ISB, IIMB, IIMC and schools in US such as Tepper ( may be tough at 670), USC marshall, Georgetown Mcdonough etc. None of the top tech product companies recruit heavily from the schools you have mentioned.

Feel free to contact us for a discussion.

Apphelp Team
Thanks Apphelp,
I think I can push my score to 700 and I will surely try for that. But the school you mentioned (tepper) will be difficult even at 700. Am I right?

How do I know which B-Schools are good for Product Management? I looked at placement reports of these schools and big software firms(Amazon, MS, Google) do recruit from them but I am not sure whether for Product Management. I also looked at LinkedIn data for some of the B-Schools and found many alumni in these MNCs but again not a big percentage. Apart from that I do not know how would I know whether a B-School is good for PM.