please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

please evaluate my profile

by anubury » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:03 am
I am an engineer currently working as Electronics Instrumentation engineer in OIL & GAS consultancy PSU. This year july I will complete have 2 year work ex. My GMAT score 700 (Q48, V38, IR 4).GPA 3.9, CLASS 10th : 88%, 12th : 92 % (JADAVPUR UNIVERSITY, INDIA). With such a low work ex, is it safe to wait for another year and then apply for MBA. Also, 700 is sufficient for top 10 US schools, or I need a retake.Please suggest

GMAT/MBA Expert

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sherry.holland » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 pm
Hello, Anubury,

Thank you for your inquiry. The quantity of your work experience is less important than the quality. Having said that, if you will earn a promotion and/or be able to demonstrate progression with an additional year of work experience, it's probably good to continue working so that you have more to contribute to the learning environment at business school.

While your GMAT is solid, it is not going to make you stand out from other Indian engineers who often score much higher. If you feel you can prepare and perform significantly better (20+ points higher), it's probably worth the time and effort. MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY THOUGH is your personal story and how you market yourself to the Adcoms. It's critical that your application is compelling/engaging/interesting and that you differentiate yourself from others who are similar to you.

As you know, the top 10 schools in the U.S. are extremely competitive, so you have to do all that you can to make yourself the best possible candidate. In addition to the above, it's essential that your post MBA goals are clear, concise and attainable.

I hope you find this helpful and I wish you luck!

Best,
Sherry
Sherry K. Holland
Admissions Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting