Please evaluate my profile - GMAT: 730

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile - GMAT: 730

by MBA23 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm
Hi,
I am a MBA hopeful and would like some advice on my profile and whether or not I should even bother paying application fees.

Profile:
1) 29 year old Male - Dual citizen (Lived primarily in the US). Speak two languages fluently (English, Arabic).
2) Education: Small SUNY state school BS in Business w/ a disappointing 3.31 (Good trend if that means anything).
3) GMAT: 730 (49, 41), IR - 7/8.
4) Experience (Chronologically starting after college): One year as a proprietary trader. Less than one year international SWF experience as an investment analyst. Two and a half years as a proprietary trader. Three years-Present, during which I would consider myself self-employed, as a part time (2.5 years with same firm) "consultant", part time tutor (around a year), part time (about to finish one year) small business owner (online sales - Only around 50K revenue in year 1).
5) Extracurriculars/Interests: I passed all three levels of the CFA Program. I am learning software development, albeit slowly. Local basketball leagues. Limited volunteer work.
6) Recommendations: Although my application has weaknesses, I would consider this area my weakest. My consulting job is an online/home based software job with no direct contact to supervisors/other employees. The position has high turnover and continuation in the program is dependent on monthly evaluations of work. Regardless of whether or not I can get a recommendation from this position, the recommendation seems somewhat worthless in my opinion. Other traditional sources of a recommendation are limited/non-existent.

I am currently beginning to expand my business internationally, however I also have strong interest in working on a startup with a strong team or possibly working with a consulting firm. If an MBA is feasible, I would press the brakes a little on my business, and pursue a MBA in a technology or finance based program.

Based on this somewhat limited snapshot of my application/profile, what are your thoughts? Top 5 are certainly way out of reach. What about 10-20 ranked schools? Are 5-10 ranked schools impossible?

Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate your time. Thanks so much.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 am
MBA23 wrote:Hi,
I am a MBA hopeful and would like some advice on my profile and whether or not I should even bother paying application fees.

Profile:
1) 29 year old Male - Dual citizen (Lived primarily in the US). Speak two languages fluently (English, Arabic).
2) Education: Small SUNY state school BS in Business w/ a disappointing 3.31 (Good trend if that means anything).
3) GMAT: 730 (49, 41), IR - 7/8.
4) Experience (Chronologically starting after college): One year as a proprietary trader. Less than one year international SWF experience as an investment analyst. Two and a half years as a proprietary trader. Three years-Present, during which I would consider myself self-employed, as a part time (2.5 years with same firm) "consultant", part time tutor (around a year), part time (about to finish one year) small business owner (online sales - Only around 50K revenue in year 1).
5) Extracurriculars/Interests: I passed all three levels of the CFA Program. I am learning software development, albeit slowly. Local basketball leagues. Limited volunteer work.
6) Recommendations: Although my application has weaknesses, I would consider this area my weakest. My consulting job is an online/home based software job with no direct contact to supervisors/other employees. The position has high turnover and continuation in the program is dependent on monthly evaluations of work. Regardless of whether or not I can get a recommendation from this position, the recommendation seems somewhat worthless in my opinion. Other traditional sources of a recommendation are limited/non-existent.

I am currently beginning to expand my business internationally, however I also have strong interest in working on a startup with a strong team or possibly working with a consulting firm. If an MBA is feasible, I would press the brakes a little on my business, and pursue a MBA in a technology or finance based program.

Based on this somewhat limited snapshot of my application/profile, what are your thoughts? Top 5 are certainly way out of reach. What about 10-20 ranked schools? Are 5-10 ranked schools impossible?

Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate your time. Thanks so much.
MBA23,
Thanks for the detailed background info. The biggest thing you would want to work on, and ensure it is done properly, is developing your story so the decisions you made along the way are clear and convincing. Adcom will also want to know what you will do after your MBA and how what you are doing now prepares you well.

I'd like to explore the LOR dilemma further. That is a pretty important part of the process and the bar for a quality letter is quite high.

That said, if that can be solved, you would have a decent shot at 10-20. To determine whether 5-10 would be reasonable, I would need to do a more detailed profile evaluation / brainstorming session with you because on paper I see that as being a challenge because of the issues you mentioned.

If you would like to explore this further and hear about how I can help you to carefully craft your story, send me a note and we can discuss my services further: [email protected]

Have a great weekend!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MBA23 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:08 pm
Thanks for the response. I'll be in touch.