please advise, native america admission

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

please advise, native america admission

by rdjtexas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:27 am
Hello,

Can you please give me insight into my admission chances? I am 1/8 native american, am certified with my tribe and particpate in occasional local events and business organizations.

Does this give me an edge over other applicants?

GMAT 650
GPA 2.9 Top 20 University
2 years at top marketing firm

Looking at top 50 mba schools in south/southwest
thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:01 pm
Hey RD,

Thanks for your post.

As you probably know, its hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview, career goals.

However, as a Native American candidate and a GMAT score of 650, you should be competitive for a top 50 school. To help further narrow your field, you should check out Veritas Prep's School Selector tool. This is a great way to get a sense of what schools you might be competitive in. Here is the link www.veritasprep.com/selector

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rdjtexas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 pm
thanks for quick response.

In your opinion, Do certain schools (South/Southwest) tend to account for race more heavily?

thanks!

RD

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:52 pm
I have not seen any evidence of schools in the South/Southwest weighing race more heavily as an admission criterion. What AdCom look for are diverse applicants but that is not solely (or even mostly) based on race. You show diversity in your experiences, work history, unique activities, etc. and basically anything that shows you will bring a unique perspective to your class. However, you should not rely on race to be your only differentiator.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options