Planning to start preparing for GMAT.

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Planning to start preparing for GMAT.

by nkhullar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:38 am
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum -- hi to all.

I am planning to study for GMAT. So far I have purchased Algebra and Fractions books from Manhattan and I am going through material.

However I have few queries -

1) Does it make sense to go for coaching - I read about Edushastra (their alumni base post on Quora) it is less expensive compared to Jamboree, Delhi.

2) In Manhattan books for each chapter I see only 6-7 questions - how do I practice concepts.

3) How do you guys practice essays and reading comprehensions.

Any pointers plzzz ..

Request to all coaching centers - please don't put your pitch here .. I just want feedback from real people (those who are preparing for or have expertise in writing GMAT)..

thanks for the help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:08 am
Hi nkhullar,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

As far as your questions, the answers will depend a great deal on the combination of study materials that you use.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by nkhullar » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 pm
Hello Rich,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I did read a blog on this site about first steps and they too suggested to take CAT.
I will do so.

I am currently targeting around 720 and will revise it based on my progress.
I am planning to take GMAT early Nov. so that I can apply for second round for Fall 2017.

Thanks again!

Nikhil..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 am
Hi nkhullar,

It sounds like you're comfortable with the idea that you might have to adapt your plans, which is a good attitude to have regarding this entire process. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you're planning to take the GMAT in early November, you've giving yourself less than 3 months though. This is all meant to say that you might end up needing more study time than you've allotted for.

Rich

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by Gaurav Mittal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 am
Hey Nikhil

Have you taken any diagnostic test yet? What do you feel about your comfort with Quant and Verbal sections?

I would suggest that in case you feel you are strong at Quant and your first diagnostic test indicates the same, don't spend much time on it and concentrate on Verbal. As you go along, you may have to spend more time on particular sections.

Based on your weaknesses and strengths, you will have to arrive at a study plan. If you wish, you can go through my page below and ask anything you want.

https://my-gmat-story.blogspot.in/2016/0 ... o-740.html

I have explained my struggles with the timing, improvement in Critical reasoning and test taking strategies for practice tests in detail.
Cheers
Gaurav

Blog: https://my-gmat-story.blogspot.in/?m=1

GMAT Prep - 1: 720
Kaplan Test - 1: 680
Kaplan Test - 2 710
Kaplan Test - 3: 720
MGMAT Test-1: 680
MGMAT Test-2: 720
MGMAT Test-3: 760
MGMAT Test-4: 720
GMAT Prep-2: 760
MGMAT Test-5: 740
GMAT: 740

by nkhullar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:14 am
Hi Gaurav,

I will take Diagnostic in subsequent week, I am quickly brushing my concepts.
I have joined Jamboree for study material.
It is bit slow paced start but I am touching books after 7years (I have been working ever since graduation).

I also went thru your blog, going to check your excel which has got timer!

Thanks for replying!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by Gaurav Mittal » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:33 pm
Attached timer..wasnt able to upload on the blogsite. In case it does not work, change file extension from .xls to .xlsm.

Cheers
Attachments
Time Log_V3.0.xls
(295.91 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Gaurav

Blog: https://my-gmat-story.blogspot.in/?m=1

GMAT Prep - 1: 720
Kaplan Test - 1: 680
Kaplan Test - 2 710
Kaplan Test - 3: 720
MGMAT Test-1: 680
MGMAT Test-2: 720
MGMAT Test-3: 760
MGMAT Test-4: 720
GMAT Prep-2: 760
MGMAT Test-5: 740
GMAT: 740

by nkhullar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 pm
Hi Friends,

So I have started GMAT preparation seriously and have covered all the basic course content (running bit late though!)
I took ETS 1 for evaluation and scored 700 (49 Quant and 35 Verbal) - I got to know that it is on easier side and not true reflection of GMAT.
I want to know if there is an excel sheet in which I can put my answers and expected answers - it let me evaluate my progress for each mock test I give.

Thanks Guys!

by Pratap-S » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 pm
Hi,

Even I am a beginner in GMAT Preparation.
Was about to post a new thread asking for guidance, and then fortunately landed here.
I see a lot of helpful suggestions here.

Thanks folks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:14 am
Hi Pratap-S,

It sounds like you're just starting out. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich