Plane Crash!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Plane Crash!!

by vivekvijayan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 pm
Recently, a plane crashed near the outskirts of Berlin within minutes after its takeoff from Berlin airport. Initial analysis confirmed that the crash was caused by either the usage of substandard fuel or a fault in the control board. Since the airport staff tested the control board before the plane took off, analysts hypothesize that the reason behind the plane crash was substandard fuel.

Which of the following options, if true, most strengthens the analysts' hypothesis?

A. The black box, upon inspection, was found to belong to a generation of models more compatible with fighter planes than with passenger planes.

B. Upon enquiry, the staff at Berlin airport confirmed that they indeed checked the control board before the plane took off.

C. Using a low quality fuel can lead to engine failure and a subsequent plane crash.

D. All the testing conducted by the airport staff is done very extensively to avoid any lapses.

E. The plane belongs to the ZX3V series which contains a fuel combustion engine that is notoriously famous for explosions within minutes after takeoff.

OA D

C appeared equally attractive to me. How can I eliminate C in this Question? For that matter even B.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Kamal2014 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 pm
vivekvijayan wrote:Recently, a plane crashed near the outskirts of Berlin within minutes after its takeoff from Berlin airport. Initial analysis confirmed that the crash was caused by either the usage of substandard fuel or a fault in the control board. Since the airport staff tested the control board before the plane took off, analysts hypothesize that the reason behind the plane crash was substandard fuel.

Which of the following options, if true, most strengthens the analysts' hypothesis?

A. The black box, upon inspection, was found to belong to a generation of models more compatible with fighter planes than with passenger planes.

B. Upon enquiry, the staff at Berlin airport confirmed that they indeed checked the control board before the plane took off.

C. Using a low quality fuel can lead to engine failure and a subsequent plane crash.

D. All the testing conducted by the airport staff is done very extensively to avoid any lapses.

E. The plane belongs to the ZX3V series which contains a fuel combustion engine that is notoriously famous for explosions within minutes after takeoff.

OA D

C appeared equally attractive to me. How can I eliminate C in this Question? For that matter even B.

Hi,
The OA is what you have mentioned.
C. This option states that "Using a low quality fuel can lead to engine failure and a subsequent plane crash.". But this is one of the speculated reasons in the argument deliberated along with another reason. Hence now it is important to rule out all the other reasons to narrow down to a single reason for strengthening of the argument.
Option D does the part of ruling out improper checking at airport. Hence we have ruled out one option between two and thus have narrowed down to a single option; i.e., substandard air fuel. Hence OA is D.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:32 am
vivekvijayan wrote:Recently, a plane crashed near the outskirts of Berlin within minutes after its takeoff from Berlin airport. Initial analysis confirmed that the crash was caused by either the usage of substandard fuel or a fault in the control board. Since the airport staff tested the control board before the plane took off, analysts hypothesize that the reason behind the plane crash was substandard fuel.

OA D

The argument states that crash is caused due to only two reasons. Either bad fuel or Faulty control panel. The basic thing when we are evaulating the options is not to disagree with these statements. So only way to do that is rule out that control board was OK.
The problem with option B is the wording - indeed CHECKED the control board .
This does not mention whether the testing was thorough. The only option that mentions TESTING is option D.
Option C adds to the doubt that bad fuel has caused the crash. Still the Control board issue still lingers around.
But this is a good question.