• e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep

People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals

This topic has 3 expert replies and 12 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next
aspirant2011 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
28 Jan 2011
Posted:
1574 messages
Followed by:
13 members
Upvotes:
88

People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:49 am
People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious. In a survey of current employees in major zoos, about 30 percent had animal-induced allergies. Based on this sample, experts conclude that among members of the general population who have spent a similarly large amount of time in close contact with animals, the percentage with animal-induced allergies is not 30 percent but substantially more. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the experts’ conclusion?

A. A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation.
B. A zoo employee is more likely than a person in the general population to keep one or more animal pets at home
C. The percentage of the general population whose level of exposure to animals matches that of a zoo employee is quite small.
D. Exposure to domestic pets is, on the whole, less likely to cause animal induced allergy than exposure to many of the animals kept in zoos.
E. Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.

OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
30 May 2012
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
8
Top Reply
Post Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 am
Hi Verbal Experts,
Could you please shed some light on why EXACTLY Option C is wrong ?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Top Reply
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 am
Sukant wrote:
Why cant the answer be (e). If the zoo workers wear protective gears, then they will have a lower probability to get an animal induced allergy then the general population will have by exposure to their domestic pets.
Could you please explain.
Thanks.
E. Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.
E states that zoo employees do not wear protective gear.
It is unlikely that the general population wears protective gear: a pet-owner does not put on a glove to pet the family dog.
Since E implies that zoo employees and the general population are SIMILAR, it WEAKENS the conclusion that the two groups will have DIFFERENT allergy rates.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
30 May 2012
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
8
Post Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 am
Hi Verbal Experts,
Could you please shed some light on why EXACTLY Option C is wrong ?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 am
Sukant wrote:
Why cant the answer be (e). If the zoo workers wear protective gears, then they will have a lower probability to get an animal induced allergy then the general population will have by exposure to their domestic pets.
Could you please explain.
Thanks.
E. Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.
E states that zoo employees do not wear protective gear.
It is unlikely that the general population wears protective gear: a pet-owner does not put on a glove to pet the family dog.
Since E implies that zoo employees and the general population are SIMILAR, it WEAKENS the conclusion that the two groups will have DIFFERENT allergy rates.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
30 May 2012
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
8
Post Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:48 am
Marty,
I hear you here...however, my first reasoning in my last post above seems to be correct,I guess (because the INCONSISTENCY in the sample is explained in the OA -- some Zoo employees having such allergy are MOST LIKELY to be outside the Zoo currently as they've switched jobs with the result that they're NOW part of the GENERAL POPULATION.)

Quick thoughts ?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Top Member

Post Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:29 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Got you Marty.

Basically the CONCLUSION is valid on the basis of the two following aspects, I guess:

1. Either the there is some INCONSISTENCY with zoo sample (and this INCONSISTENCY is basically explained in the OA). This is more likely reason for the CONCLUSION to hold good, I guess, because ARGUMENT says "Based on this sample, experts conclude that..."

2. Or the total numbers in the SECOND SET is substantially less than the number of zoo employees exposed to animal-induced allergies.

Now,Option C seems to imply: although this percentage is small, by common sense we can say that the real numbers -- the number of people with zoo-like animal exposure among the general population -- are NOT likely to be *that* small because anyway general population would be substantially more than the zoo employees,GENERALLY. Now these numbers may be more than the zoo-employees having animal exposure - we really don't know; although they're likely to be more because general population would ALWAYS likely to be GREATER than the the zoo employees...

Therefore,precisely, C doesn't really help identify whether the animal-induced allergies will be more than 30 percent or not among members (who're aligned to zoo-like animal exposure) of the general population; in other words, C doesn't help in strengthening the CONCLUSION.

Does it sound correct ?
While you end up at the right place, the way you get there does not really sound right to me. From what you said I get the impression that you are still falling into the trap of choice C.

We really don't care about the relative sizes of the absolute numbers of members of the sets.

There could be thousands of zoo employees and only 50 non zoo employees who have had zoo employee type of exposure to animals, and the argument would still work, because all we care about is the percentages within the two sets.

The experts' conclusion in that case would be that while 30% of the thousands of zoo employees experience animal induced allergies, more than 30% of the 50 non zoo employees who spend similar amounts of time around animals experience animal induced allergies.

There could be 10,000 zoo employees and 500,000 non zoo employees who spend a lot of time around animals, or 1,000,000 zoo employees and 10 non zoo employees, and the argument would still work.

_________________
Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: RBBmba@2014
RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
30 May 2012
Posted:
889 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
8
Post Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 am
Got you Marty.

Basically the CONCLUSION is valid on the basis of the two following aspects, I guess:

1. Either the there is some INCONSISTENCY with zoo sample (and this INCONSISTENCY is basically explained in the OA). This is more likely reason for the CONCLUSION to hold good, I guess, because ARGUMENT says "Based on this sample, experts conclude that..."

2. Or the total numbers in the SECOND SET is substantially less than the number of zoo employees exposed to animal-induced allergies.

Now,Option C seems to imply: although this percentage is small, by common sense we can say that the real numbers -- the number of people with zoo-like animal exposure among the general population -- are NOT likely to be *that* small because anyway general population would be substantially more than the zoo employees,GENERALLY. Now these numbers may be more than the zoo-employees having animal exposure - we really don't know; although they're likely to be more because general population would ALWAYS likely to be GREATER than the the zoo employees...

Therefore,precisely, C doesn't really help identify whether the animal-induced allergies will be more than 30 percent or not among members (who're aligned to zoo-like animal exposure) of the general population; in other words, C doesn't help in strengthening the CONCLUSION.

Does it sound correct ?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Top Member

Post Fri May 27, 2016 10:47 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Hi Verbal Experts,
Could you please shed some light on why EXACTLY Option C is wrong ?
Answer choice C is a classic "sounds as if says something key while actually being completely irrelevant" wrong answer choice.

What is being compared is the percentage of zoo employees reporting allergies and the percentage experiencing allergies of non zoo employed people who have spent a large amount of time in close contact with animals.

So we are looking at percentages of two specific sets, zoo employees and non zoo employed people who have spent a large amount of time in close contact with animals. The fact that the second set is SMALL IN RELATION TO THE GENERAL POPULATION does nothing to affect the percentages WITHIN that set.

_________________
Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: RBBmba@2014
Sukant Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
20 Nov 2013
Posted:
9 messages
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:27 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:
People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious. In a survey of current employees in major zoos, about 30 percent had animal-induced allergies. Based on this sample, experts conclude that among members of the general population who have spent a similarly large amount of time in close contact with animals, the percentage with animal-induced allergies is not 30 percent but substantially more. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the experts’ conclusion?

A. A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation.
B. A zoo employee is more likely than a person in the general population to keep one or more animal pets at home
C. The percentage of the general population whose level of exposure to animals matches that of a zoo employee is quite small.
D. Exposure to domestic pets is, on the whole, less likely to cause animal induced allergy than exposure to many of the animals kept in zoos.
E. Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.

OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail
The key word in the argument is current: the survey included not ALL zoo employees, past and present, but only current zoo employees.
One way to strengthen the argument would be to show that, because the survey included only current employees, the percentage with allergies was underreported.

Answer choice A does just what we need: A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation. Thus, the current employees surveyed did not include all the employees with allergies who had left. This means that the percentage of people who developed allergies while working at the zoo was likely much higher than 30%, suggesting that the percentage of non-employees who develop allergies also will be much higher than 30%.

The correct answer is A.
Hi,
Why cant the answer be (e). If the zoo workers wear protective gears, then they will have a lower probability to get an animal induced allergy then the general population will have by exposure to their domestic pets.
Could you please explain.
Thanks.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
sushbis Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
27 Feb 2008
Posted:
23 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
1
Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:11 pm
Well this problem can be easily solved by way of elimination. All the options other than A serves to weaken the argument. Only A (though a very feeble premise) somewhat validates the argument.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:14 am
ratan_2009 wrote:
why B cant b d ans? anyone xplain plz
The argument compares two groups of people (the employees and the non-employees) who have spent a similarly large amount of time in close contact with animals. Since it is given that the two groups are spending similar amounts of time with animals, answer choice B -- which discusses the location of the animals -- is irrelevant.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
ratan_2009 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
17 Jul 2009
Posted:
12 messages
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:50 pm
why B cant b d ans? anyone xplain plz

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
aspirant2011 Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
28 Jan 2011
Posted:
1574 messages
Followed by:
13 members
Upvotes:
88
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:
People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious. In a survey of current employees in major zoos, about 30 percent had animal-induced allergies. Based on this sample, experts conclude that among members of the general population who have spent a similarly large amount of time in close contact with animals, the percentage with animal-induced allergies is not 30 percent but substantially more. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the experts’ conclusion?

A. A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation.
B. A zoo employee is more likely than a person in the general population to keep one or more animal pets at home
C. The percentage of the general population whose level of exposure to animals matches that of a zoo employee is quite small.
D. Exposure to domestic pets is, on the whole, less likely to cause animal induced allergy than exposure to many of the animals kept in zoos.
E. Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.

OA: Will be posted later. Please discuss each answer choice in detail
The key word in the argument is current: the survey included not ALL zoo employees, past and present, but only current zoo employees.
One way to strengthen the argument would be to show that, because the survey included only current employees, the percentage with allergies was underreported.

Answer choice A does just what we need: A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation. Thus, the current employees surveyed did not include all the employees with allergies who had left. This means that the percentage of people who developed allergies while working at the zoo was likely much higher than 30%, suggesting that the percentage of non-employees who develop allergies also will be much higher than 30%.

The correct answer is A.
thanks a lot mitch for your wonderful explanation Smile........Yup the OA is A

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
madhujeya Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
23 Dec 2010
Posted:
13 messages
Test Date:
Jan 26
Target GMAT Score:
700+
Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 am
What is the OA?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 120 topics
2 LUANDATO 62 topics
3 swerve 62 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

174 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

173 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

131 posts
4 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

130 posts
5 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

130 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts