abhirox Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
10 messages
Followed by:
1 members

Pathetic score

Post Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 am
Hey All,

I didn't want to post this in this forum because I obviously "did NOT beat the GMAT". Just finished my GMAT 2 hours back. Got a sad 670 (45/37). I used to average 680~710 in the GMAT prep tests. I'm extremely disappointed with my quant score. I used to get 48-50 in all my mock tests. Verbal used to be around the same range 36~38. Now I'm obviously not going to apply anywhere with this pathetic score. I'm looking to retake sometime in November to ensure I apply before the 2nd round deadlines. (Btw got 8 in IR)

I honestly am clueless now. I don't know what I should differently. I had 6 GMAT prep exams (including EP 1 and 2), each of which I took twice. Now I can't even take mocks since I know the answers by-heart. Also, I did OG (3 books set) 2016 once and OG 2017 once. So that's like doing the OG twice. I'm really bored to redo all of this again. Some advice would really help me. My target score is 740, but I'll settle for anything above 720.

Looking for some urgent guidance please.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Post Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:45 am
Hi abhirox,

First off, a 670 is a strong score (it's above the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. This is a score that most Test Takers will never hit in their lives, so referring to it as 'pathetic' makes you sound silly. All things considered, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-admissions-consultant-f40.html

As far as how this score compares to your practice CAT scores - GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your Official Score and CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). Right now, your general ability level is likely in the high 600s. If you do choose to retest, then you'll have to make some adjustments to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections to score 740+.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Post Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:56 pm
Hi Abhirox,

I’m sorry to hear about your recent GMAT. Since the drop in your quant score was not too dramatic, it’s possible that nerves affected your performance or that you simply had an “off day.” With that said, did you feel nervous on test day? Further, when you took your practice exams, did you take them under realistic timing conditions?
If you determine that you had more of a content issue than a nerves issue on your actual GMAT, then you may consider spending some time to improve your quant score prior to your next GMAT attempt. One great way to improve that score is to concentrate on learning and practicing one topic at a time. Have you been able to study in this way?

For example, when studying quant, you may consider doing some focused practice to stay fresh with the material and also uncover any lingering weak areas. If you are looking for more quant practice, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level in all GMAT quant topics as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

You may also consider using study materials besides the Official Guide as your study resource. While the Official Guide is a great book because it has official questions from past GMATs, it has limited instruction and does not provide full exposure to all GMAT topics. For your retake, consider seeking out some robust prep materials that provide sufficient targeted practice for you to discover and fix your weak areas.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out!

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 LUANDATO 16 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

146 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

100 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

92 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

79 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts