parapsychology

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

parapsychology

by Amadalia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:48 am
Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in fact a genuine scientific enterprise, for it uses scientific methods such as controlled experiments and statistical tests of clearly stated hypotheses to examine the questions it raises.

The conclusion above is properly drawn if which of the following is assumed?

(A) If a field of study can conclusively answer the questions it raises, then it is a genuine science.
(B) Since parapsychology uses scientific methods, it will produce credible results.
(C) Any enterprise that does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is not genuine science.
(D) Any field of study that employs scientific methods is a genuine scientific enterprise.
(E) Since parapsychology raises clearly statable questions, they can be tested in controlled experiments.

I know that C is wrong but I just can't say why?

Many thanks in advance!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 am
This is an assumption question. The conclusion is that "parapsychology it is in fact a genuine scientific enterprise"

So you want parapsychology to be a scientific enterprise. Choice C goes in the wrong direction. With choice C you are able to determine which things are NOT genuine science. But you want to find the assumption that supports the conclusion that parapsychology IS scientific.

Now, it is true that parapsychology does use controlled experiments, but this does not mean that choice C supports the conclusion, it just means that choice C does not apply to this argument, because it is not one of those enterprises that " does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests"

For example, let's say that I want to prove that you drive an economy car. The premise is that you have a modest income. An assumption that says "no billionaire would drive an economy car" does not support my conclusion about you - it simply does not apply. You are not a billionaire so the statement is not applicable to you.

Choice C is not applicable because parapsychology does use controlled experiments and statistical tests.

(By the way, if you are a billionaire, my apologies for making a false assumption)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Amadalia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 am
Thanks a million David for you amazing explanation
and no need for apolgy , I'm not a billionnaire :)