Pants than skirts

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Pants than skirts

by j_shreyans » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:23 am
On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.

A)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear

B)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing

C)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear

D)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing

E)one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

OAE

Guys ,

can you pls explain each options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ameya85 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:04 am
I think we can eliminate A, B, and C simply because they use comparison incorrectly. More women who wear pants than skirts incorrectly mean you'd come across more "skirts" instead of more "women" wearing skirts. On this ground alone we we can eliminate 3 out of 5 choices. Now, we are left with D & E. D is awkwardly framed. The use of "when" in second sentence makes us to expect something more - for e.g. when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced......people revolted. E uses comparison precisely and there is no ambiguity in sentence.

Ameya

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am
j_shreyans wrote:On any city street in today's world one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear pants on the street.

A)one will encounter more women who wear pants than skirts, yet, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris in 1945, for she had dared to wear

B)more women have been encountered wearing pants than skirts, yet it was only in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when police forced actress Marlene Dietrich to leave Paris to dare wearing

C)one has encountered more women wearing pants than skirts, yet, only two or three generations ago, it was in 1945 that Marlene Dietrich, the actress, was forced to leave Paris by police because she dared to wear

D)more women who wear pants than women who wear skirts will be encountered, yet in 1945, just two or three generations ago, when actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris to dare wearing

E)one will encounter more women wearing pants than wearing skirts, yet it was only two or three generations ago, in 1945, that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris for daring to wear

OAE
A: One will encounter, yet...
D: More women will be encountered, yet...
In each case, the implied clause after yet lacks a subject and a verb.
Eliminate A and D.

B: it was in 1945
Here, it lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate B.

The present perfect (has + VERBed) serves to express a PAST ACTION that affects the present.
C: in today's world one has encountered
Here, has encountered -- which refers to a PAST action -- cannot serve to express what happens IN TODAY'S WORLD.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is E.

In the OA, it is an EXPLETIVE: a placeholder pronoun serving to DELAY THE SUBJECT.
OA: It was only two or three generations ago that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris.
Here, it is standing in for that actress Marlene Dietrich was forced by police to leave Paris (the delayed subject).
Conveyed meaning:
THAT MARLENE DIETRICH WAS FORCED BY POLICE TO LEAVE PARIS was only two or three generations ago.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3