Panicking

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Panicking

by NeilWatson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:29 am
My exam is in about a month and quite frankly I am beginning to panick. Questions that I was able to answer I am finding myself tripping up on them now. I have been trying to focus on perfecting problems in the 600 level range as I think that will give me the best chance at achieving my target score (700). I'm finding myself unable to solve some problems on this site and I think it its killing my confidence.

Any suggestions?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm
Hi NeilWatson,

If you're using a variety of questions that appear on this site as a gauge, then you're probably NOT dealing with a representative sample of GMAT prompts.

How have you scored on your last couple of practice CATs? Those scores are a far better indicator of your ability (and whatever issues you might be facing) than a random series of out-of-context prompts.

With a month to go, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improve.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by NeilWatson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:16 am
Hi Rich,

I have taken 3 practice CATS so far. I got a 660, 650 and 720. All of those were from the GMAT Prep software but I can't help but feel like some of the problems on this site I should be able to answer quickly. This weekend I plan to take a MGMAT CAT. I've heard those tend to be more difficult.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:22 pm
Hi NeilWatson,

Those CAT scores are quite good, so as long as you took those 3 CATs in a realistic fashion and under test-like conditions, then you shouldn't be too worried. Since you're scoring at a fairly high level, it's important to remember that a CAT (or the Official GMAT) will give you the score that you EARN. Just because you scored 720 on your last CAT does NOT mean that you'll score 750 on your next CAT, unless you EARN IT.

During this last month, you should plan to take no more than 1 CAT/week and spend the balance of your time on review, eliminating silly mistakes, etc. Keep doing good work and you'll earn a great score on this test.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mastercap » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:21 am
Sounds like you're in a really good position. I'd do one test a week as previous stated and then focus on the problem areas and, even more than that, what's making me nervous. Also, above all that, try to relax! You're going to hurt yourself wayyyy more by being nervous in the test then you would by showing up unprepared (which seems to be a non-issue at this point).