P&C Problem

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

P&C Problem

by sukhman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 am
Gordon buys 5 dolls for his 5 nieces. The gifts include two identical Sun-and-Fun beach dolls, one Elegant Eddie dress-up doll, one G.I. Josie army doll, and one Tulip Troll doll. If the youngest niece doesn't want the G.I. Josie doll, in how many different ways can he give the gifts? [spoiler](5! / 2! - 4! / 2!) = 48.[/spoiler]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am
sukhman wrote:Gordon buys 5 dolls for his 5 nieces. The gifts include two identical Sun-and-Fun beach dolls, one Elegant Eddie dress-up doll, one G.I. Josie army doll, and one Tulip Troll doll. If the youngest niece doesn't want the G.I. Josie doll, in how many different ways can he give the gifts? [spoiler](5! / 2! - 4! / 2!) = 48.[/spoiler]
Let's first pretend that we DO NOT have two identical Sun-and-Fun beach dolls (we'll deal with that later). So, we'll pretend that there are 5 different dolls to distribute among the nieces.

Take the task of distributing the dolls and break it into stages, beginning with the MOST RESTRICTIVE stage (giving a doll to the youngest niece).

Stage 1: Select a doll for the youngest niece
Since the youngest niece doesn't want the G.I. Josie doll, this stage can be completed in 4 ways

Stage 2: Select a doll for another niece
At this point, there are 4 dolls remaining, so this stage can be completed in 4 ways

Stage 3: Select a doll for another niece
At this point, there are 3 dolls remaining, so this stage can be completed in 3 ways

Stage 4: Select a doll for another niece
This stage can be completed in 2 ways

Stage 5: Select a doll for the last remaining niece
This stage can be completed in 1 ways

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP) we can complete all 5 stages (and thus distribute all 5 dolls) in (4)(4)(3)(2)(1) ways (= 96 ways)

IMPORTANT: So, if we pretend that there are not two identical Sun-and-Fun beach dolls, then there are 96 possible distributions.
Of course, there ARE two identical Sun-and-Fun beach dolls, so how do we deal with that?

We need to recognize that each unique distribution has been counted twice.
To see what I mean, let's call the two identical dolls SF1 and SF2.
So, in our original solution, one possible distribution might see Sue getting the SF1 doll and Mary getting the SF2 doll, and another distribution might see Sue getting the SF2 doll and Mary getting the SF1 doll (with the other 3 dolls given to the other nieces in the same way). Since the SF1 and SF2 dolls are identical, we are counting the same distribution twice.

To account for this "double counting," we must divide 96 by 2 to get 48

Cheers,
Brent

Aside: For more information about the FCP, watch our free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=775
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:58 am
sukhman wrote:Gordon buys 5 dolls for his 5 nieces. The gifts include two identical Sun-and-Fun beach dolls, one Elegant Eddie dress-up doll, one G.I. Josie army doll, and one Tulip Troll doll. If the youngest niece doesn't want the G.I. Josie doll, in how many different ways can he give the gifts? [spoiler](5! / 2! - 4! / 2!) = 48.[/spoiler]
Alternate approach:

Good = Total - Bad.

Total:
Number of ways to arrange 5 DISTINCT elements = 5! = 120.
But the 5 elements in the problem above are not distinct; 2 of the gifts are IDENTICAL.
When the 2 identical dolls swap positions, the arrangement doesn't change.
For this reason, we must divide by the number of ways the 2 identical elements can be arranged (2!):
5!/2! = 60.

Bad:
In a bad arrangement, the youngest niece receives the GI Josie doll.
Since there is only 1 choice for the youngest niece -- in a bad arrangement, she must receive the GI Josie Doll -- we need only count the number of ways to arrange the 4 remaining gifts:
4!/2! = 12.

Good = 60-12 = 48.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3