Oxford Dictionary

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Oxford Dictionary

by harshalchawla » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 am
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

A.) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
B.) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
C.) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
D.) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
E.) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

What do you think the answer will be?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 am
IMO d

what is oa?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

by harshalchawla » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:39 am
D is mentioned as the correct answer but in this case how do we justify the use of would. How is option B flawed grammatically? The sequence of events look OK.

Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 am
harshalchawla wrote:D is mentioned as the correct answer but in this case how do we justify the use of would. How is option B flawed grammatically? The sequence of events look OK.

when you removed the would from the sentence you defined a fact. An event already happened in history. But this action didn't connect the next clause( oxford dictionary was born); it sounds very awkward too.

May be someone can provide more grammatically cogent explanation.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 am
Good doubt and decent explanation. Let's take a more detailed look at it.

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary that would be more comprehensive than any other dictionary the world had ever seen.

So how did it launch the effort? It launched the effort by starting its work on the Oxford English Dictionary. This dictionary was born in 1860 but it would take 60 years to be completed.

Error Analysis:

We must keep in mind here that the sentence is talking about all the events that took place in 1860. That's the time period for this sentence.
This sentence correctly uses the conditional word "would take" because, the dictionary was just born in 1860. It did not get completed then. So we are talking about a future event in past. Hence "would take" is absolutely correct.

Use of "had been born" is incorrect because past perfect tense is used to denote the earlier of the two events that took place in the past. Past perfect establishes sequence between the two past actions. Here, we don't have two past actions for 1860. Only the dictionary was born then. It is a general information, which should be written in simple past tense.

POE:

A would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

B took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was: Incorrect. The context of this sentence is set in 1860. As we discussed, the dictionary did not get completed then. Hence, "took" is not the correct verb tense.

C would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being: Incorrect. The verb "was being born" suggests that this action was ongoing. This is not correct because the dictionary was born. The action of taking birth was completed already.

D would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was: Correct.

E took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be: Incorrect.
i. This choice repeats the same verb tense error of Choice B.
ii. Verb "about to be born" suggests that the OED was not born yet. This is not the intended meaning. The dictionary was born.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

Regards,
Payal

by harshalchawla » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am
Thanks a lot Payal and Hemant!
The author's intended meaning is not clearly stated. If I take all of the events in context to my present, I think even B can fit in. What do you think?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:51 pm
@harshalchawla, interesting thought.
Let's take your stand on it and consider choice B from the frame of reference of today. So here is choice B:

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was born.

Now what does this sentence mean:
In 1860, PS launched the effort to create most comprehensive dictionary.
Next part states a contrast -
Fact 1 - the project took more than 60 years to complete
Contrasting Fact 2 - the OED was born

When I read the "although clause" I am not sure of the sequence of the events. Since both actions are stated in simple past tense it appears that both took place at the same time. i.e. the project got completed at the same time as the OED was born. This is not logical. Look at this simpler sentence that is written in similar form but in this case the context allows the usage of same tense.

Marie took 7 years to complete her PhD, and she received her degree in 1997.
In this sentence both actions happen at the same time, i.e. in 1997.

Now that being said, can we write this sentence from present day frame of reference. Sure we can:

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary HAD BEEN born.

Use past perfect tense here to set up the sequencing. Essentially you need to sequence these events appropriately. -
You may set up the frame of reference in either
1: 1860 and then use "would verb" to express the later FUTURE event. OR
2: present day and then use "past perfect tense" to express the EARLIER of the two past events.

Hope this helps clarify the confusion.

Regards,

Payal

by iongmat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:47 am
e-GMAT wrote: Now that being said, can we write this sentence from present day frame of reference. Sure we can:

In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary HAD BEEN born.

Use past perfect tense here to set up the sequencing. Essentially you need to sequence these events appropriately. -
You may set up the frame of reference in either
1: 1860 and then use "would verb" to express the later FUTURE event. OR
2: present day and then use "past perfect tense" to express the EARLIER of the two past events.
Hello e-gmat, project happened earlier, so it is earlier of the two past events. So, should it not have been in Past perfect and the latter of the two past events (dictionary born) in simple past.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 am
@iongmat, can you please elaborate your statement a bit more so that I can help resolve the confusion. :)

by iongmat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 am
Although he had worked very hard for this exam, he still failed.

Although the project had taken more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was ultimately born.

Hmm...but actually the above two sentences are not similar...in case of Dictionary, the Dictionary was born "before" the project completed...

:)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 am
Great that you could understand the difference between the two sentences. :)
Do let me know if you need any other clarification regarding this.

I would like to say one thing though - coming up with your own simple sentences really helps in resolving such confusions...So keep up the efforts!!

Regards,

Payal

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 am
hardest question.

the key to success on this question is to realize that we need a sequence of "take" and "was born", which is realize by choice D.

B shows the 2 simultaneous action and not logical

but it is very hard to realize the thing not logic here.

thank you e gmat expert for posting. Do you have any tip/strategy for solving the tense problem on sc.? e gmat used to post many excellent articles. pls make an article for tense sc questions , e gmat