ordinary essay(essay) VS. issue essay

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

ordinary essay(essay) VS. issue essay

by nima_persian » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:11 am
Greetings

I am newer and my English is not very good.

Having surfed the web, I am still confused with the following:

What is the difference between an issue essay(GRE) and an ordinary or just an essay? Or, could you please introduce me a source in a way that I could get it?

My specific question:
what about their constructions or organizations? is there any difference between theirs?

Any help would be appreciated

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "ordinary essay."

The GMAT has an essay where you analyze an argument.
The GRE has an essay where you analyze an argument and an essay where you analyze an issue.

My GMAT company (GMAT Prep Now) has a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know about the essay section of the GMAT: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment

My GRE company (Greenlight Test Prep) has a free set of videos that cover both essays on the GRE:
https://www.greenlighttestprep.com/modul ... al-writing

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nima_persian » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:19 am
Thanks.

By ordinary essay or essay I mean a term paper or in general could be about anything, such as your childhood, why you want to study with a particular professor, why you think BMWs are better than Audis (or the reverse). In other words the very issue which you are to be taken when you are for instance in secondry school, not academic essay or article.

However, I know there are various ways for writing an essay. I can not find the following. The following is my specific question or problem.

Some of methods would work for both an issue essay and an essay that is not about an issue. Others would not

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 am
Hi nima_persian,

On the GRE, you have a limited amount of time to write the Issue Essay (only 30 minutes), so you should plan to write an organized, reasonable essay that clearly explains your "side" of an issue (and there are always 2 sides, so you can choose whichever side you find easier to argue for).

The GRE graders do NOT care how long your essay is, BUT you have to include enough information/logic to properly explain (and defend) your point of view. Logical structure matters and so does overall "style" (spelling and grammar, among other things).

There are plenty of sample prompts and sample essays that you can read online to help you get a sense of how you could/should deal with the Issue Essay. As long as you stay "on topic", then you'll likely earn a reasonable score on the Essay. With some practice and "tweaks" to how you write, you could earn a higher score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]