Optional Essay to Explain Low Quant Score?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Optional Essay to Explain Low Quant Score?

by GMAT800FTW » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:44 pm
I'm applying to various Master of Science in Finance programs. My GMAT score is acceptable (710). However, my quant score is relatively low (45 or 63%). Most of the programs I'm looking at have an average score of around 680-730, so my 710 is within range for most schools. However, my quant score is on the lower side.

If it makes a difference, I don't have much of a quantitative background (single variable calc, intro stats, intro probability) and a bunch of accounting courses. I've gotten A grades in all my math courses and mostly A/A- grades in my accounting courses.

I'm hesitant to use the optional essay as I don't want to sound whiny. However, I also know my quant score could be higher for the schools I'm looking at.

appreciate any opinions!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 am
Hey there,

For a quant heavy program like that, you need to get ahead of any potential flags. And a low quant score is one of those things. You don't have a really low score but you don't want them questioning your abilities so use the optional essay to really point to the things in your background and experience that help buoy those capabilities. It doesn't need to be whiny at all!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!