Online vs. In-Class Quant Courses

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Online vs. In-Class Quant Courses

by asafchar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:46 am
Hello,
I plan on applying for B-School in the fall, and have already taken the GMAT. While my overall score is good (720), my quant score isn't as high as my verbal score. Since my backroud isn't very quant-oriented either, after deliberation and consultation I decided to take a relevant quant class to help strengthen the quant weakness on my application, and to be "in shape" for the quant skills I may need during the MBA.
My question is, will taking an online quant course (calculus / statistics/ etc) be considered by the adcom as good as an in-class quant course (for the purpose of strengthening my application)?
Is an online course from a known university as good as taking an in-class course from a local college?

I've also seen the MBA Math course (https://www.mbamath.com/), which covers all the basic quant skilles needed for an MBA, and I've heard some schools even recommend this course for their accepted students. Will taking this course, and submitting the transcript, help strengthen my application?

Thank You!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:48 pm
asafchar wrote:Hello,
I plan on applying for B-School in the fall, and have already taken the GMAT. While my overall score is good (720), my quant score isn't as high as my verbal score. Since my backroud isn't very quant-oriented either, after deliberation and consultation I decided to take a relevant quant class to help strengthen the quant weakness on my application, and to be "in shape" for the quant skills I may need during the MBA.
My question is, will taking an online quant course (calculus / statistics/ etc) be considered by the adcom as good as an in-class quant course (for the purpose of strengthening my application)?
Is an online course from a known university as good as taking an in-class course from a local college?

I've also seen the MBA Math course (https://www.mbamath.com/), which covers all the basic quant skilles needed for an MBA, and I've heard some schools even recommend this course for their accepted students. Will taking this course, and submitting the transcript, help strengthen my application?

Thank You!
I do feel that on line courses are certainly gaining more mind share, and MBA Math does come up a good amount. I tend to steer my private consulting clients towards in-person courses from reputable schools if they have the time. It does show a stronger commitment and mimics more closely the in person nature of MBA classes. Ultimately, you have many things to balance in terms of your schedule, so that is paramount. But all things being equal, for now I would favor physical classes at as good a university/extension school as possible.

Alex
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:18 am
I agree with Alex. But if you don't have the choice to attend in person, online courses won't hurt at all!
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

by MBA.Master » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:22 am

by asafchar » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:55 pm
Thank you for the helpful replies!
If my schedule does not enable me to take an in-class course, do you think there is a difference between taking the MBA Math course and taking an online course from a known university (through edX or coursera)? Is taking an online course from a universty better in terms of the adcom's impression?

Thank you![/quote]