one of the factors THAT

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Hi Karan,

That would be really great. Please post the new thread link here so that we can refer to it.

Regards,
Viju
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:If we can have one single place to look for all these sort of subtleties then it will be really great....

Thanks
Mohit
hmm

you could certainly try to construct such a thing, but its length would probably get out of hand quickly.

on the other hand, a FOLDER would work better. there could be a special folder dedicated to these sorts of rules, and each different rule could be a separate thread in the folder.
this would be easier because (a) a single thread could easily exceed a thousand posts and thus become essentially useless, and (b) separate threads would be SEARCHABLE in a way that a single thread simply wouldn't.

on the other hand, this folder would have to be moderated very, very closely. there are a lot of normal threads on which most (or, in the worst cases, all) the posts are wrong until one of the moderators comes around; we could NOT permit that to happen in this proposed new folder.

i could do some, but probably not all, of this moderation. maybe all of it, but probably not at first (since i'd imagine that the # of posts would grow at an obnoxiously fast rate at the outset, tapering to a more controlled rate of growth later).

what do you guys think.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:57 am
lunarpower wrote:
goelmohit2002 wrote:If we can have one single place to look for all these sort of subtleties then it will be really great....

Thanks
Mohit
hmm

you could certainly try to construct such a thing, but its length would probably get out of hand quickly.

on the other hand, a FOLDER would work better. there could be a special folder dedicated to these sorts of rules, and each different rule could be a separate thread in the folder.
this would be easier because (a) a single thread could easily exceed a thousand posts and thus become essentially useless, and (b) separate threads would be SEARCHABLE in a way that a single thread simply wouldn't.

on the other hand, this folder would have to be moderated very, very closely. there are a lot of normal threads on which most (or, in the worst cases, all) the posts are wrong until one of the moderators comes around; we could NOT permit that to happen in this proposed new folder.

i could do some, but probably not all, of this moderation. maybe all of it, but probably not at first (since i'd imagine that the # of posts would grow at an obnoxiously fast rate at the outset, tapering to a more controlled rate of growth later).

what do you guys think.
Hi Ron,

In addition wouldn't it be good...if you(Manhattan) can release a sort of the additional important points which are not covered in Manhattan SC 4th edition but are sometimes/frequently tested in GMAT and confuse students a lot...

For e.g. this "one of the...." stuff....IMO is not covered in Manhattan SC guide.

Thanks
Mohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:45 am
goelmohit2002 wrote:In addition wouldn't it be good...if you(Manhattan) can release a sort of the additional important points which are not covered in Manhattan SC 4th edition but are sometimes/frequently tested in GMAT and confuse students a lot...

For e.g. this "one of the...." stuff....IMO is not covered in Manhattan SC guide.

Thanks
Mohit
hey -

funny you should mention this; i just proposed the idea of such a publication not too long ago. like less than a week ago.

the problem, of course, is that all of us at mgmat have TONS of stuff we're working on, and only a limited budget of time on which to do it.

so, if this does happen, it will be somewhat down the line, like at least a few months (as there are other projects that have a higher priority). but it may indeed come to fruition.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:44 pm
This was one excellent post and thanks Ron for your invaluable post.

Btw, did we ever manage to create a post or a folder as discussed; It is going to be very helpful. I do agree with Ron that it is always useful to understand it with the context, but it helps me to know the rule because POE becomes much faster.

Besides this, without the explanation by Ron I would have never been able to get the right answer, because initially I thought that the subject is Interest Rate, which is singular.

Lets collaborate to create this folder.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:25 am
vineetbatra wrote:This was one excellent post and thanks Ron for your invaluable post.

Btw, did we ever manage to create a post or a folder as discussed; It is going to be very helpful. I do agree with Ron that it is always useful to understand it with the context, but it helps me to know the rule because POE becomes much faster.

Besides this, without the explanation by Ron I would have never been able to get the right answer, because initially I thought that the subject is Interest Rate, which is singular.

Lets collaborate to create this folder.
hi -

do remember that you can't "collaborate" to create the folder. that would mostly be the responsibility of the founder, eric bahn:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a/beat-the-g ... /eric-bahn
you could send him a message or email asking about this topic (i've mentioned it to him at some point, amid other topics).

once the folder is created (if eric decides that's in the best interests of the forum), then of course you can collaborate on filling it with content.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
(A) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
(B) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(C) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(D) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
(E) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

What's wrong with option D ? Like "earlier in the decade" ? Is it because it is a phrase with no subject+verb? Any help please.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sw222 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 am
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
(A) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
(B) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(C) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(D) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
(E) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

I went through the whole discussion - and also went to the link - provided by Ron.
Can anyone please confirm - 9I want to make sure I got it right)

Pasting the correct choice -
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade.

Is - "that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control" - referring to factors? Plural
And "as it did earlier in the decade" - referring to "A higher interest rate"

I was trying to frame similar sentence - are both correct?
He is only one of the people that are coming for the party, who is also part of this event.
He is the only one of the people that are coming for the party, who is also part of this event.