On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:26 pm
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,
I have two questions about the OA??

1- Why is the verb is singular 'is'? what is the rule followed? can you shed light about the subject of the OA?
In a verbless clause, the omitted verb will generally be a form of to be (is, are, etc.).
The omitted verb form must agree with the implied subject.
In the OA, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause is the rate (singular).
Since the implied subject is singular, the implied verb -- is -- also is singular.
2-In VERBLESS clause, the subject is usually implied to be the preceding clause. How is this applied in sentence on hand?

Thanks
The OA abides by this rule.
Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow, as [the rate is] seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.
Here, the subject of the main clause is the rate, as follows:
The rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles.
Thus, the subject of the main clause -- the rate -- is also the implied subject of the verbless as-clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:58 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: Even when a non-essential modifier refers to a specific noun within a clause, the modifier must also provide context for the ENTIRE clause.
Consider the following:
Last year John visited New York, where trash is collected every Tuesday.
Here, the non-essential where-modifier correctly refers to New York.
But -- unless John has a special interest in the trash-collecting methods of major cities -- the where-modifier doesn't seem to provide any context for the preceding clause (john visited New York).
As a result, the sentence seems illogical -- even though the referent for the where-modifier is crystal clear.

The same is true for the non-essential COMMA + as seen modifier in the SC above.
While the implied subject in this clause is the rate, the entire modifier must serve to provide context for the preceding clause.
Otherwise, the sentence would be illogical.
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In my post above, I've explained more fully how a COMMA + as seen modifier should function on the GMAT.

C: On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.
Error 1:
Here, the omitted subject for the COMMA + as seen modifier seems to be sunspot cycles, implying that SUNSPOT CYCLES are SEEN in the rings of tree trunks.
Not the intended meaning.
I have reviewed your old posts and I discovered it is somehow confusing.In those posts, it seems you are convenience that 'rate' provides nonsensical (illogical) meaning in thsi context. Also, you see that 'sunspot cycles' is the implied in 'COMMA + as seen' while ''sunspot cycles' is not the subject of the choices A & C.
I find that your posts contradicts your answer to me in the previous post, in which you mentioned that 'rate' is the subject.Therefore, I believe Error 1 for choice C is not justified.

What so I miss?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm
Mo2men wrote:I have reviewed your old posts and I discovered it is somehow confusing.In those posts, it seems you are convenience that 'rate' provides nonsensical (illogical) meaning in thsi context. Also, you see that 'sunspot cycles' is the implied in 'COMMA + as seen' while ''sunspot cycles' is not the subject of the choices A & C.
I find that your posts contradicts your answer to me in the previous post, in which you mentioned that 'rate' is the subject.Therefore, I believe Error 1 for choice C is not justified.

What so I miss?

Thanks
A verbless clause should be AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the implied subject.

Official examples:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks.
Here, the verbless clause in blue immediately follows the implied subject rising inventories.
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
Here, the verbless clause in blue immediately precedes the implied subject United States citizens.

Option C in the SC above violates this rule.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3