olympic games...

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by praveenmech » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 pm
It shud be A

by sejpara » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 pm
glettian wrote:
shipra wrote:94. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival�s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
C, it is the most active voice

The use of "when", must refer to a specific time..so its use in C is improper. I'd go with "B"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by GMAT Kolaveri » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:44 am
shipra wrote:94. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival�s month.
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
This question is based on the FANBOYS tip. There are two Independent clauses
1. Games helped to keep peace.
2. A sacred truce was proclaimed.

When two Independent clauses are joined by a comma, the comma needs to be followed by anyone of FANBOYS (FOR, AND, NOT, BUT, OR, YET, SO)
Regards and Thanks,
Vinoth@GMAT Kolaveri
https://www.facebook.com/GmatKolaveri
https://gmatkolaveri.tumblr.com/

Click the thank you button if you like my reply :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mparakala » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:06 am
the answer should address how the games helped keep peace- then, the sentence will make sense!

A - GMAT does not accept "in that"

B - if it were "by proclaiming", it would have been correct

D - has "for" which is synonymous to "because" in this sentence. this is correct!!

by rajeshsinghgmat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:47 pm
I Dd it.

by ndqv » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 am
A) wrong - "in that"
B) correct - "proclaiming ..." modifies the preceding part
C) wrong - reversed positions: "sacred truce..." must be the consequence, hence cannot use "when"
D) wrong - "for a sacred truce was ...": grammatically weird
E) wrong - "by proclamation of ...": "by" needs an action doer, not a noun like that

Choose B

by chetan86 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:02 pm
In OG for option C it is mentioned as
They is ambiguous, possibly referring to either the states or the Games. The phrase truce for the festival month loses the sense that it's to take place for the duration of the month.

How can 'they' refer to Games or States??
Can we use 'They' for inanimate things?

by rajmohantc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:07 pm
I think both A & D are fine, but I think the GMAT answer should be D.

by vietmoi999 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:46 am
E is not wrong for the reason that games do proclamation. this kine of pattern in choice E dose not show that games make proclamation

E is wrong for the grammatical reason. the phrase BY NOUN is followed by only one of two entities, a noun and a passive clause. there is no third case.

irrigation by the new system is good

I am taught gmat by an expert.

so, pattern in E is not grammatical.

am I correct?

E is
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot

by jaspreetsra » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:04 am
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month
My answer is B.
Reasons:
(A)'world in that' in A looks weird.In GMAT 'in which' works.
(B) Correct bcz. 'proclaiming' is modifier for world.
(C) Here the word 'they' create problem.If 'they' for games, how can games proclaim?
(D) Pattern to avoid - [Preposition] [noun] [participle] - [for] [a sacred truce] [was proclaimed]
(E) looks wordy.
:)

by sarthak.agarwal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:35 am
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month - in that looks awkward
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month - Wrong as the games didn't proclaim a truce
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month - Reference to they is unclear
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival - Correct!
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival - "that was for the month of festival" looks wordy

IMO: D

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

by akash singhal » Mon May 11, 2015 9:33 pm
I think A is correct...
The reason being what proclaimed the sacred truce that should be clear in the question.....
Here 'The olympic games' does that work... Now
option B and D does not point to who proclaimes the truce it can be olympic games or the states of greek so eliminate B and D
E faces the same problem and also plus wrong use of 'that' which points to the sacred truce which makes no point. Eliminate E
C, They points to states of greek world wrong as it is the olympic games that proclaims truce... wrong antecedent thus eliminate C
hence, A is the right answer...
I hope i am right do argue if i am wrong it will be appreciated and thank me if you like my explanation.

by umbe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:29 am
B is not the answer!

proclaiming refers to an unexisting subject, in other words makes confusion

between A and D: the festival's month is preferable to the month of the festival cause is more coincise (rising cost better than rising of cost, from the OG guide)

by deepak4mba » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:13 am
Even though it seems wordy compared to Option A, I would now with D.
B, C, E are ruled out as modifying clause is too far

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:46 am
Hello Everyone!

There have already been some great discussions about modifiers, transitions, and wordiness on this question. Let's tackle this question from a different angle and narrow it down to the right answer! Before we dive in, let's take a closer look at the original question and highlight any major differences in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, a few things stand out that we can focus on:

1. transition after "world": in that / proclaiming / when they / for / by proclamation of
2. the festival's month / the festival month / the month of the festival
3. during vs. for

Let's start with #3 on our list: during vs. for. Since this is an "x or y" situation, we know it will likely eliminate 2-3 options quickly, so it's a great place to start. It may seem like these two words can be used interchangeably, but when it comes to discussing time and events, they mean different things:

during = discussing something that happens within a time period (We went skiing during our 2-month long school break.)
for = discussing the duration of time an event happens (We studied for our final exams for 12 hours straight.)

Since we are talking about something that happens within a certain time period (a truce being proclaimed during the games), we need to keep options that use "during" and toss any options that use "for":

We can eliminate options C & E because they use "for" instead of "during" to indicate that the truce occurs within the time frame that the games take place.

Next, let's focus on #2 on our list: the festival's month / the festival month / the month of the festival. This is another issue of idiom structure that focuses on how we discuss events which take place during a certain time:

the festival's month = the month belongs to the festival (...which doesn't really sound right, does it?)
the month of the festival = the festival takes place during a specific month (...which makes more sense, don't you think?)

My daughter's birthday takes place during the spring break's week. --> BAD
My daughter's birthday takes place during the week of her spring break. --> GOOD

In English, it makes more sense to say an event takes places during "the month of" rather than saying the month is owned by an event.

We can eliminate options A & B because the use the incorrect idiom structure "during the festival's month" to discuss an event that happens within a certain time frame.

There you go - option D is the correct choice! It's the only one that uses proper idiomatic structures to discuss events and timing!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.