Old Paper Test official CR = The recent decline in the value

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
The recent decline in the value of the dollar was triggered by a prediction of slower economic growth in the coming year. But that prediction would not have adversely affected the dollar had it not been for the government's huge budget deficit, which must therefore be decreased to prevent future currency declines.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion about how to prevent future currency declines?

(A) The government has made little attempt to reduce the budget deficit.
(B) The budget deficit has not caused a slowdown in economic growth.
(C) The value of the dollar declined several times in the year prior to the recent prediction of slower economic growth.
(D) Before there was a large budget deficit, predictions of slower economic growth frequently caused declines in the dollar's value.
(E) When there is a large budget deficit, other events in addition to predictions of slower economic growth sometimes trigger declines in currency value.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:08 am
Can experts verify my understanding =

The recent decline in the value of the dollar was triggered by a prediction of slower economic growth in the coming year. But that prediction would not have adversely affected the dollar had it not been for the government's huge budget deficit, which must therefore be decreased to prevent future currency declines.

Conclusion = But that prediction would not have adversely affected the dollar
Reason = had it not been for the government's huge budget deficit

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion about how to prevent future currency declines?

Now the question asks us to weaken the conclusion that means we have to search the answer that enforces that the prediction actually had an adverse effect on the dollar value.

(B) The budget deficit has not caused a slowdown in economic growth.
(D) Before there was a large budget deficit, predictions of slower economic growth frequently caused declines in the dollar's value.

Option B is talking about economic growth and that is too broad discussion we want an answer choice that should deal with the diminished dollar value. The Option D does that. Make sense?
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)